DigiChilli January Status and feedback

Check this link: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Telecoms/10663.html

According to this DC is paying R3807 per megabit per second for Seacom connectivity and they are sharing that on a 2:1 contention ratio

To make money they would need to sell each 256kbps package to 4 people minimum just to pay for the line and that would leave them with R250 profit for every 4 customers. This means that if 4 of us share the bandwidth we are each only going to get 64kbps if we are using it to download torrents or from RS ...

Of course this vastly oversimplifies the reality of how the contention ratios work out so we need to hope for a whole bunch of browsers (makes them sound like cows :D) to be able to get the most capacity out of our links.

Nobody has ever mentioned what price BCSgroup give if you rake a full STM-1 connection (155 Mbps).

Also rarely mentioned is the telkom ipc costs.

On a side not, a 20-1 to 50-1 contention ratio is the norm.
 
Any updates of anyone getting gmail to send with outlook? this is quite a frustration for me. Other than this I am quite happy with the service. PM'd Dave, but no response and call center is worthless in helping.[/QUOTE


Mine works, what type of server are you using?
POP3,IMAP,HTTP,Exchange???
 
To make money they would need to sell each 256kbps package to 4 people minimum just to pay for the line.

uhm if you sell it to 4 subscribers you are only covering the 1Mb line....the line costs R3400 per Mb....so they have to sell it at least 14 times before making profit :) this is if they guarantee you the bandwidth which they are...
 
ahhhh i had enough. DC sucks. Astraweb is maxing out @ 17Kb/s. Http downloads 5Kb/s. DC you can keep your bandwidth. Signing up @ WA for there steam content server and game servers. Awe Hosh en vrede
 
Rofl! yet again, another failure!

DC should change their site to say, "Go for it! We understand FAILURE".
 
"I would also like to ask people like Hoodrich to report back on whether they have actually received their refunds hassle free?"

Its been 9 days since I cancelled asked for my refund, and DC just mailed me the proof of payment today. Very big of them to refund people as promised.

Just wanted to give you guys an update on that bit.

Thanks DC
 
uhm if you sell it to 4 subscribers you are only covering the 1Mb line....the line costs R3400 per Mb....so they have to sell it at least 14 times before making profit :) this is if they guarantee you the bandwidth which they are...

lappies_in_jhb said that, not me. :)

Isp's generally oversell the bandwidth by atleast 20 to 1.

So you only need 1mbps to cater for 20 1mbps customers.
 
I must say i've been getting a steady 40KB/s since this morning...almost on 3GB today...
i'm on mild with a 4MB line....no bursting though which could be a good thing for DC...
Even browsing while downloading is fine...don't know what you guys are doing?

btw this is on astraweb...busy getting sherlock Holmes with AC3 audio....can't wait!!

Sorry jak forgot to remove the quotes....what i mean is with this new product i reckon everyone will run their line at about 80% all the time....
luckily so many people left already :) good for us...

you can pick up usesrnames and password for cheap man :)
 
Last edited:
Yes but will that (20:1 ratio) hold true here? As it seems that most people who want these kinds of accounts, will be downloading pretty much 24/7, at least for a while. I reckon people's usage will start to decrease over time.

If I took one of the accounts (which I do want to, just waiting for it to stabilise as well as have enough money to get it), I'd go for the spicy/mild (can't remember which is which, but I only need 1 connection), I think I would want to try pull about 30gb per month to feel like I was getting my money's worth. Probably would go ape for a few months at first and every now and then after that.
 
Any updates of anyone getting gmail to send with outlook? this is quite a frustration for me. Other than this I am quite happy with the service. PM'd Dave, but no response and call center is worthless in helping.[/QUOTE


Mine works, what type of server are you using?
POP3,IMAP,HTTP,Exchange???

Thanks for responding. I'm using pop3 with outlook. A google apps account using the settings of port 587 and TLS encryption for outgoing. Exactly what Google says to use and it works perfectly with Telkom & Afrihost. Are you using different settings?
 
I assume that the packet shaper is still in place. With just my RS and torrents running I get about 15-20kB/s, but as soon as I open a YouTube video I'm bursting to over 30kB/s?

I hope the change this week will not involve us getting kicked by both a protocol shaper and our own virtual pipe?!?
 
Hi *******

Good news, we are implementing a new system to give each user a raw pipe unshaped. This will give you all the services and application free range you need to pull torrents to max at night and play games to your hearts desire during the day.

The only bad thing is that you now have to manage your bandwidth your self. Pulling torrents will kill your other services like gaming, youtube, FTP. Cloe torrents then you claim back full bandwidth to do what you need to do at the time.

Go life is this week.

Regards
Andre

This is the Most Stupid thing i have heard from an ISP! Y is it that with DigiChilli WE have to manage out bandwidth like this? WTF!

Im slowly but surley starting to move away from DigiChilli... im even contemplating becoming Capped again until there is an ISP out there that we dont have to do the work for them and have cheap uncapped that actually works all month... Dont get me wrong my DC has been going well with regards to torrents and DL but browsing Int is Shocking...
 
I think it is a good thing, I know better than anyone else what protocols needs priority for my needs. And it is most likely not the same as your needs...
 
I think it is a good thing, I know better than anyone else what protocols needs priority for my needs. And it is most likely not the same as your needs...

I agree with that. If I remember correctly at the beginning of the month this was what we were begging DC to do. My only concern is how much of our bandwidth will we actually get to see?
 
lappies_in_jhb said that, not me. :)

Isp's generally oversell the bandwidth by atleast 20 to 1.

So you only need 1mbps to cater for 20 1mbps customers.

That worked well with dialup...uncapped ADSL, NOT! - Contention ratios goes out the window with DSL, a hard lesson Screamer also learnt...

Back in the day with dialup, the ISP worked on probability that out of 20 ppl sharing a pipe, maybe say 3- 5 will be online at the same time.

On DSL people will run their downloads all day to get their monies worth, this complicates things for the ISP because everybody wants their chunk...and that is why screamer allocated pipes with dedicated bandwidth for each user...something DC realised now.

So in my opinion, at the end of the day (When DC issues is sorted), there won't be much separating the offerings between DC and Screamer except price...because DC just eliminated the only value proposition they had...bursting. :wtf:
 
The 2 concurrent connections is more important to me than bursting, but that's probably because I'm on a 384 line though.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X