Discovery Vitality 2020

citizensa

Vitality Drive Diamond Status will be damn near impossible to reach. The maximum points you can get per month is 1650 and to get diamond status you have to maintain an average of 1600+ points. Pretty much no room for error. You will also have to pay for the Advanced Eye Gym course and a Discovery Insure Driving Course.
Yes it looks like they don’t want anyone to be on Diamond status. You loose points if you have been with them for less than 3 years. After 1 year you only get 25 out of 200 and also loos points if you drive more than 500 km a month both impossible targets not even considering drive points

terencej

Expert Member
Wow, lot of reading material there :)

I see conflicting info though, anybody know what the deal is?

Discoverer brochure: "Save up to 50% on a Huawei Band 3 Pro at Sportsmans Warehouse."
Vitality Sales brochure: "Up to 100%" (under the picture on p13)

So yeah, I'm confused: am I saving 50% or 100%? Or is it like a 50% discount upfront and then I don't need to make the repayments if I achieve my four active goals for the month?

Bottom line is I want to get a new tracker (I've got a TomTom that Vitality discontinued lol), but I've got no idea what to actually expect to pay. Has anybody purchased a Huawei Band 3 Pro on Vitality through Sportsmans?
I got the band 2 Pro this week. Its about R400 cheaper thand the 3 pro but has less functionality and also lasts 2 weeks longer. Got 25% off upfront. And then apparently if I make a certain amount of goals the pay me the 50% into my bank account.

If you signup sans Vitality, its R1500 p/m on a 2 year contract. If you activate vitality, its 50% discount (this is the absolute max, no amount of goals or gym visits increase it, it is capped at 50%) on a 1 year contract which is R2350 p/m @50% = R1175 p/m. Factor into that the expense of Vitality and, yes you are saving, but if you had to pay the vitality activation fee (R799?) and didn't catch it on a free promotion, all of a sudden, the saving is quite irrelevant at the end of the day.
Signed up(R799 sign up fee) and then the contract says R150 pm.

Last edited:

twr

Vitality Drive Diamond Status will be damn near impossible to reach. The maximum points you can get per month is 1650 and to get diamond status you have to maintain an average of 1600+ points. Pretty much no room for error. You will also have to pay for the Advanced Eye Gym course and a Discovery Insure Driving Course.
How many points do you currently need to be on diamond? (I've been on diamond for the last three years and my points per month are around 1400)
You mention from next year you need to get an average of 1650 per month,how many do you need currently to maintain diamond?

diapason

Expert Member
How many points do you currently need to be on diamond? (I've been on diamond for the last three years and my points per month are around 1400)
You mention from next year you need to get an average of 1650 per month,how many do you need currently to maintain diamond?
I am currently on Diamond and have been for ages. I get 1150 or 1200 points each month.

Charlesjjm

Currently to be diamond, you have to earn 1000 or more points and remain claim free for 12 consecutive months.

James 77

Seems like it's time to switch from Bonitas
I have to say if it wasn't for the apple watch benefit and 100% virgin active discount then I would surely move to someone else (Profmed or Momentum). Currently, Discovery has too many laws and the rate of return is diminishing fast. I don't want a smoothie a week. And I can't get the iphone benefit as I'm not on discovery drive.

Tinuva

The Magician
I have to say if it wasn't for the apple watch benefit and 100% virgin active discount then I would surely move to someone else (Profmed or Momentum). Currently, Discovery has too many laws and the rate of return is diminishing fast. I don't want a smoothie a week. And I can't get the iphone benefit as I'm not on discovery drive.
Yup for me it is the 100% discount on gym only for now.

grim101

So now I have to pay for vitality and extra for vitality active?

Then I get cash back for a watch or bicycle, for doing my fitness.

But when you get hurt or something happens and you can't be active enough... They bend you over and you loose everything... Cash back, rewards, vitality premiums, cash back on life insurance.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
So now I have to pay for vitality and extra for vitality active?

Then I get cash back for a watch or bicycle, for doing my fitness.

But when you get hurt or something happens and you can't be active enough... They bend you over and you loose everything... Cash back, rewards, vitality premiums, cash back on life insurance.
Vitality active is a seperate vitality membership. It's an either or.

You are quite logically confusing vitality active which is basically vitality light, with vitality active rewards which are your spins, gym booster and so on. Devuce, bike and shoe boosters always have had an additional cost associated.

However they are changing the cash back to be for banking clients only, non banking clients will get miles instead of cash.

Erohann

If I recall correctly, in the event of a serious injury, you can contact them and a plan can be made. The Ts&Cs alluded to what sounded like a lower goal that needs to be reached for a defined time period, if supported by a medical professionals opinion and approval from Vitality's side.

donanicky

If I recall correctly, in the event of a serious injury, you can contact them and a plan can be made. The Ts&Cs alluded to what sounded like a lower goal that needs to be reached for a defined time period, if supported by a medical professionals opinion and approval from Vitality's side.
They can also pause your goals. There is an article about this on the Discovery website.

amabacha

With the latest update of the Discovery iOS app it now seems that Active Reward points dont show the ' X points expiring this week' text any more. Seems in line with next year's plans to be able to build up points for larger rewards or converting to cash (if you have a DB account)

fruitbat

Expert Member
im really disliking this for next year. It’s confusing as heck. I’d cut it if it wasn’t for my sun city holiday that showed me the discounts in full force and shoe booster, and the pre 2010 gym benefit. But I haven’t yet determined if my gym benefit stays. And how the hotel / travel works next year. I bet I have to use the bank card to pay.
I hope ebucks doesn’t get inspired by this and Bork that up more than they did!

mattrudlles

What is rather ridiculous is the Classic/Collection memberships at VA

If you signup sans Vitality, its R1500 p/m on a 2 year contract. If you activate vitality, its 50% discount (this is the absolute max, no amount of goals or gym visits increase it, it is capped at 50%) on a 1 year contract which is R2350 p/m @50% = R1175 p/m. Factor into that the expense of Vitality and, yes you are saving, but if you had to pay the vitality activation fee (R799?) and didn't catch it on a free promotion, all of a sudden, the saving is quite irrelevant at the end of the day.

Best make the most of those smoothies whilst on it then I guess
The activation fee is a once off-fee. You pay it once and you continue to receive the discounted rate.

someotherguy

Hoo boy, so how does one go about getting maximum virgin active discount? My membership ended this month so I'm unsure whether Vitality is worth it for the gym discounts now.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Hoo boy, so how does one go about getting maximum virgin active discount? My membership ended this month so I'm unsure whether Vitality is worth it for the gym discounts now.
With the bank and normaly vitalty you can get 100% off, but not without effort. 75% off just with normal vitalty

someotherguy

With the bank and normaly vitalty you can get 100% off, but not without effort. 75% off just with normal vitalty
I thought they were changing it to only 50% with just vitality? And how much effort would have to be put into bank to get that last 25%? I read they were changing the gym booster to require Discovery Bank from October but they just made it sound like having an account.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I thought they were changing it to only 50% with just vitality? And how much effort would have to be put into bank to get that last 25%? I read they were changing the gym booster to require Discovery Bank from October but they just made it sound like having an account.
50% for low spec vitalty health launching next year, 75% for the original vitalty. Not sure of effort required I am still on the old gym booster to get 100% back.