Do you tip petrol attendants?

• Yes

Votes: 373 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 289 43.7%

• Total voters

DiabloDane

Expert Member
if i have some coins and they offer to wash my already dirty cars windows then yes

Matt91

Only if they check my tyres. Don't trust them at all under my car hood, I do all that stuff myself.

R13...

Honorary Master
Yes, only R2 to R3, but only if they clean the windows without asking. I check under the hood myself & tyres myself.

Petrol Attendants earn a wage or salary. We shouldn't be subsidizing the garage owner.
It's a tip and most of them are friendly fellas despite having to survive on minimum wage.

powermzii

Expert Member
Yes if I have change in the car - always get good service and my local Caltex is the best so why not

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
this,
see those guys as a nuisance TBH,
I'm perfectly capable of filling my car up myself, dont need a degree in Petrol pump JackA$$ery.

look anywhere else in the world, pump attendants are a luxury, not a necessity.
I don't see the need to get out of my car touch that handle and risk stinking to high hell of fuel.
It's a good service to have, I'll tip if attendant goes extra mile and delivers prompt service.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I don't see the need to get out of my car touch that handle and risk stinking to high hell of fuel.
It's a good service to have, I'll tip if attendant goes extra mile and delivers prompt service.
so, go to a Petrol station where such a service is offered.
not FORCE everybody to deal with these guys.

id much rather prefer to do it all myself, as you don't need to be a genius to put petrol in your car.

fail to see the point of these guys,
to me they just walk around doing a job most people are perfectly capable of doing themselves.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Do you tip petrol attendants, and if so, how much?
No: Highly unlikely unless I specifically feel I am going to.

Last night I was stormed-the-front as if money grows on me. I told the lady that I don't have money to just give to her as well as making clear I am not going to give her anything. I then got but you are privileged look as she left, I thought well it's not a privilege but actual work paying for what I have, even then its not a lot in comparison to the rest. Besides, the first thought was... how many people are in this party, as I looked around for any would-be assailants.

Last edited:

Dan C

Honorary Master
Yes about R7 . I fill up at the same station. They are very quick to serve me and wash the windows etc.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Are you sure ?

The fuel price is comprised of four main elements. These are the

• The General Fuel Levy,
  • The RAF Levy,
  • The Basic Fuel Price (freight and insurance costs, cargo dues, storage and financing),
  • Wholesale and retail margins, and distribution and transport costs.
Using this data, filling a 50 litre tank with 93 unleaded petrol inland will cost R711,50. This is comprised of the Fuel Levy - R3,37 x 50l (R168,50), RAF levy – R1,93 x 50l (R96,50), associated costs – R3,12 x 50l (R156), and the Basic Fuel Price – R5,81 x 50l (R290,50).

Yes. AFAIK, its illegal for motorists to depense their own fuel when at a fuel station, although I'm having trouble finding the write-up supporting this.

thechamp

Honorary Master
They are usually the most pleasant people you'll ever come across, petrol attendants and the newspaper guys. I do give with an open heart when it comes to the two.

Plus they are always ready to assist with anything.

Chingha

Expert Member
Are you sure ?

The fuel price is comprised of four main elements. These are the

• The General Fuel Levy,
  • The RAF Levy,
  • The Basic Fuel Price (freight and insurance costs, cargo dues, storage and financing),
  • Wholesale and retail margins, and distribution and transport costs.
Using this data, filling a 50 litre tank with 93 unleaded petrol inland will cost R711,50. This is comprised of the Fuel Levy - R3,37 x 50l (R168,50), RAF levy – R1,93 x 50l (R96,50), associated costs – R3,12 x 50l (R156), and the Basic Fuel Price – R5,81 x 50l (R290,50).

Their wages are included in the fuel price and set through MIBCO IIRC.

It is built into the formula. There have been a couple of fuel increases in the last couple of years that have purely been due to the change in wage rates.

Found an article

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Only if they check my tyres. Don't trust them at all under my car hood, I do all that stuff myself.
I don't even let them touch my tyres. Serious safety risk. Fuel station gauges are dodgy enough. Having a petrol jockey, who probable doesn't understand the importance of tyre pressure as a safety concern, do it and screw it up? The only time you will realise he f'ed it up is when your car is on its roof or down a ditch.

They don't touch my tyres, windows, oil, water or anything other than the fuel cap because some stupid union won't allow us to refuel ourselves.

Shi

Expert Member
Only tip when they check the oil and water. Usually a few bucks.

ld13

Honorary Master
I don't even let them touch my tyres. Serious safety risk.
Neither do I. I get out and they assist me. I remove the prop, feel the tyre, check for obvious troubles etc and then check the pressure with my own eyes - I also check/confirm said pressure with my own compressor when I get home. Some service stations have some dodgy gauges/equipment that are seemingly out with as much as 0.5-1.0 bar and I have learned to avoid them.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Yes, but not really for refuelling but for tge extras. I usually put in 30 litres every 2 weeks, have the attendant pump up my tyres and wash the windscreens.

I usually tip R5 for that. I use the same BP each time and get good service.