Do you tip petrol attendants?

Do you tip petrol attendants?

• Yes

Votes: 373 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 289 43.7%

• Total voters

Raven7

:sneaky:If I have some loose change in the car....yah...generally I do......if they wash my windscreen and back window without having to be asked they get a bigger tip...and when they check my tires and ensure the caps are back on afterwards.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
so, go to a Petrol station where such a service is offered.
not FORCE everybody to deal with these guys.

id much rather prefer to do it all myself, as you don't need to be a genius to put petrol in your car.

fail to see the point of these guys,
to me they just walk around doing a job most people are perfectly capable of doing themselves.
Do you serve your own food in restaurant? Most people can just hop off into the kitchen to pick up their orders.

And then there's that one fknut that drives off with the pipe still attached.

Segg

Expert Member
R5 if they wash my windows and pump my tires, I do oils etc myself

eg2505

Honorary Master
Do you serve your own food in restaurant? Most people can just hop off into the kitchen to pick up their orders.

And then there's that one fknut that drives off with the pipe still attached.
that's completely different,
and then again there exists fast food where you grab your order yourself.

see my point, if you want to be served, go to a resturant and pay the tip for the service,
if not, go to a Steers and serve yourself.

same thing with Petrol stations, if I want a splash and Dash, I can use the machine myself, pay and be on my way.
if I want to be pampered and feel "special" then yes go to a serviced pump, and PAY the fee for the Luxury.

why force EVERYBODY regardless to use a serviced pump?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
if I want to be pampered and feel "special" then yes go to a serviced pump, and PAY the fee for the Luxury.

why force EVERYBODY regardless to use a serviced pump?
Who says you you're forced to pay for it. It's customer service.

wni5378

If the attendants are allowed to add a tip to the total when using a card to pay, then absolutely. 10% minimum.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I also check/confirm said pressure with my own compressor when I get home.
There are some good tyre pressure gauges that you can get for a few hundred rand. You just keep it in your cubby hole. Check the pressure there and then.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
If the attendants are allowed to add a tip to the total when using a card to pay, then absolutely. 10% minimum.
They have other ways of using the machine to get "tips". A guy pays R200 cash and doesn't ask for a receipt. The attendant pockets the money. His mate comes with the company car and petrol card. He puts in R200, but the attendant charges R400 on the card. He gives his mate R100 and he pockets R100.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Neither do I. I get out and they assist me. I remove the prop, feel the tyre, check for obvious troubles etc and then check the pressure with my own eyes - I also check/confirm said pressure with my own compressor when I get home. Some service stations have some dodgy gauges/equipment that are seemingly out with as much as 0.5-1.0 bar and I have learned to avoid them.
Why do you check tyre pressure at a garage if you have your own compressor at home?

Luckily, or unluckily, my car has individual TPMS as well as electronic oil level measurement, so there is bugger all for the fuel attendant to do other than adjust my tyre pressures if needed.

CB40

There are some good tyre pressure gauges that you can get for a few hundred rand. You just keep it in your cubby hole. Check the pressure there and then.
Our company imports and sells the majority of the tyre inflators you see on the forecourts in SA.We have been the official importers & distributors for the last 30 or more years.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Our company imports and sells the majority of the tyre inflators you see on the forecourts in SA.We have been the official importers & distributors for the last 30 or more years.
Not talking inflators. I'm talking about pressure gauges.

access

Honorary Master
if they clean the windows on their own, or if they offer to. or ask to check oil, tires or water.

yes then i tip

noxibox

Honorary Master
No. People should be paid for their job and not reliant on extracting additional money from customers, because their employers are cheap. Do people tip shop assistants, cashiers and packers in supermarkets or librarians?

I'd rather not be asked whether I want my tyres, oil and water checked or my windows washed every time I want to buy fuel. I can do all of those things myself and if I want someone else to do it I'll ask. Then there's having to watch the guy filling up to stop them trying to force more petrol in after it automatically shuts off, because every single one will if you don't tell them not to. Getting petrol in South Africa is always an exercise in annoyance.

Neuk_

Expert Member
There is more to checking oil than the level. Smell, colour and contaminants are just as important.
Correct, I have never come across a petrol attendant who knows to check anything other than oil level though, those checks in my car are difficult anyway.