Extract WhatsApp chat history from Android

Budza

Executive Member
There're a few options available via Googling but most are outdated or require rolling back to an old version of WhatsApp in order to work.

Has anyone done this recently? How?

TIA :)

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
It's nigh on impossible now other than recovering your "own" backups to your whatsapp chat history

vic777

Expert Member
There're a few options available via Googling but most are outdated or require rolling back to an old version of WhatsApp in order to work.

Did it recently for my wife.

Go Settings > Chats > Chats Backup

This will back up your chats to Google Drive

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I just changed phones yesterday all my conversations and media where all send to my new phone

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Phone with broken screen or something? Good luck! >insert evil laugh here<

Zinator_RSA

Either you backup via google drive or backup locally to your phone and copy the Databases folder under "WhatsApp" to another device.

Budza

Executive Member
It's nigh on impossible now other than recovering your "own" backups to your whatsapp chat history
That's what I thought :(
Did it recently for my wife.
Go Settings > Chats > Chats Backup
This will back up your chats to Google Drive
I've done that - I need to extract chat and media for a group chat for reference outside WhatsApp
Phone with broken screen or something? Good luck! >insert evil laugh here<
:p
Either you backup via google drive or backup locally to your phone and copy the Databases folder under "WhatsApp" to another device.
Need to get the chat out of WhatsApp.

I've heard you can find the Apple backup files and extract the chat/media from there. Can't see a way to get the same from Google or to get into the local WhatsApp files to extract the chats :(

Can you back up to Google -> get an iPhone, restore from Google -> backup to Apple and extract maybe?

Pho3nix

The Legend
If you have the backups, move the db to a new phone with a new WhatsApp number, import db and send chats via email.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Didn't know Telegram can backup your Whatsapp chat history

Coming in Telegram's next update. But there is probably already a bot for that. In a year or so WA will unveil an "amazing new feature" that allows backup.

Sorry can't resist.

But to the OP. WA will be backing you if you have asked it to and you have checked that the backups are being done. I suspect you are looking for something a bit further back then you are probably out of luck.