Extremely Slow Internet from DBS(Internet Solutions)

slipsystem

Hey guys anyone else experience slow internet from DBS(Internet Solutions)?

At work we have a 10meg Uncapped account. for the past 5 or so month we have had extremely slow internet.... I am talking Dial up speeds 1kb download speed. It usually takes about 3 minutes just to open google. We have an internet cafe and we are loosing lots of business because our clients can barely check there emails.

The slow Internet only happens from 8am till 5pm(office hours), after office hours the internet is super fast.

Torrents are not effected I can download torrents at 400kbs during office hours(when it is at its slowest).

I have contacted DBS and they say that we are being shaped.

For a 10meg line is it possible to be so shaped?

why would the service provider only shape me during office hours?

why would they not shape torrents if they are shaping me?

is it possible to be shaped continuously for 5 months?

I suspect that they have to many people on there service using http and that they cannot handle the traffic. after 5pm all there corporate clients are off the network so it becomes faster. I can understand that we are being shaped but not only during office hours and not if the torrents are working.

We are considering changing ISP's and I would also like to know can I expect the same results from the other ISP's?

@MWEB Guy @AFRIMAN @any one that can shed some light

slvR

Expert Member
For a 10meg line is it possible to be so shaped?
yes

why would the service provider only shape me during office hours?
because peak network usage

why would they not shape torrents if they are shaping me?

they are

is it possible to be shaped continuously for 5 months?
you're unshaped after hours

Move to a business account like https://www.axxess.co.za/businessuncapped it would fit your needs better

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Amazing that you don't have a business DSL account if you are an Internet cafe....

Impregim

Get a business package! - You bound to loose customers with some "home-brew-type-uncapped" account.

Axxess, Web-Africa - Business.

fingerprintz.mgr

IS accounts use the star rating system, if your usage is high you are probably on a low star and everything is being shaped. Check with your service provider what star you are on. An internet cafe should definitely have a business account.