prasanv

Hi guys,

My experience so far on the maboneng network from the time of application to going live.

Here is my feedback:

Network Provider : Maboneng Broadband (the line was already installed in my street)
ISP : Cool Ideas
Package : 20/20
Price : R899

Maboneng Broadband - on the 31/08/2016 Applied for the fibre optic line to be installed at my premises 5 weeks back, done it via their website. Received an email on the user creation on their website but nothing thereafter. Called Maboneng and got some information on the steps to follow and who to contact for the installation.

The sub-contractors (from Maboneng) pitched up on 02/09/2016 morning to dig up and connect my line to the main line on the streets. The work was completed the same day where they have installed the box outside the wall in my property.

DAC Security - on the 05/09/2016, the technicians from DAC came in and they installed the ONT device along with the connectivity between the ONT and the little white box outside the wall on my property was connected.

Link Africa - personally if you don't chase them or be on their (technician's) back then you will probably be forgotten and they will not communicate either. They have sub-contractors who do their work perfectly but Link africa themselves, the technicians are not always working on their schedule. Link Africa started with their so called "Patching" which took around 3 weeks. The technicians will have no answer for you, they will promise and promise week after week but nothing will get done.

After getting fed up, I decided to escalate this to the Regional manager Hennie who chased his technicians to sort this out, after 4 days, my line was patched which was last week Thursday 29/09/2016 around 3pm.

Fibrehoods - I have no idea why they came into the picture as I thought that the Maboneng was my line provider however, Fibrehoods are the ones that activated my ONT device on their so called portal. Once activated on their portal, it took 24 hours for my line to be configured (remotely) once this was done, the alarm light on my ONT device went off

Cool Ideas - The support from these guys just awesome, the router was configured and despatched in one day. The speed is just as promised, 20 mbps at any given time, downloaded a 400mb video within 5 minutes which was awesome personally.

Talking about support from cool ideas, I sent an email on friday morning (30/09/2016) to Paul and his team to assist in activating my line, I get an out of office reply from Paul (Co-Owner) stating that he is on leave. Not getting proper feedback from Link africa to handover my line to cool ideas, I sent a sms to Paul from cool ideas. Although he was on leave, he replied and I was up and running within a hour.
Thank you Paul.

With this type of service continuing, Cool Ideas will definitely become a major player in this ISP industry.

This was my fibre installation from the start to now..

The_MAC

Executive Member
Sounds like way too many middle-men in the mix, no wonder it took so long

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Thanks for the great feedback prasanv, Yeap as The_MAC says there are challenges with multiple teams all with different responsibilities (as you have seen and are still experiencing). Link Africa unfortunately seems to be battling with keeping up on all of their endeavors at the moment, quite normal with massive growth it seems.

Markjcollins

Also stay in FWG.

Surprised you got yours done so quickly... I originally applied on the 15th of July.

Been fighting with Link Africa literally daily... They finally installed my ONT today but obviously I need to phone more people and shout at them to get it to work. Fibrehoods say they can't see my ONT on their end and say I need to speak to Link Africa. They suspect the "DB is too high" Link Africa say they are coming tomorrow to re-splice my line.

All my excitement has long been drained from this process.

I also signed up with Cool Ideas for a 50/50 line, by far the best deal around. When Telkom came and did a presentation for a 24 month contract for like R2k a month for a 40mbps capped account I told them what Cool Ideas offered and they just stared blankly at me.

I feel sorry for people living in the Estate who simply don't know better.

prasanv

Also stay in FWG.

Surprised you got yours done so quickly... I originally applied on the 15th of July.

Been fighting with Link Africa literally daily... They finally installed my ONT today but obviously I need to phone more people and shout at them to get it to work. Fibrehoods say they can't see my ONT on their end and say I need to speak to Link Africa. They suspect the "DB is too high" Link Africa say they are coming tomorrow to re-splice my line.

All my excitement has long been drained from this process.

I also signed up with Cool Ideas for a 50/50 line, by far the best deal around. When Telkom came and did a presentation for a 24 month contract for like R2k a month for a 40mbps capped account I told them what Cool Ideas offered and they just stared blankly at me.

I feel sorry for people living in the Estate who simply don't know better.
Who are you speaking to in Link Africa? Maybe you should speak to Hennie the regional manager, he was very friendly and got the job done.

I had the same issue also, the fibrehoods guys could not see my ONT device on their portal, so the link africa guys have to redo the splicing in order for the ont device to appear.

oober

Expert Member
It's just a pity that MabonengBroadBand(bought out by Fibrehoods) has a 2:1 down/up speed policy for the 100/50 package. Rest of the players provide synchronous speeds across the board.

Looney

Expert Member
According to Fibrehoods, the only reason they limit the upload speed to 50mb is because they didn't feel the need for 100mb because 50mb is already very fast. They do have plans to increase the upload to 100mb in due time.

sand_man

Honorary Master
According to Fibrehoods, the only reason they limit the upload speed to 50mb is because they didn't feel the need for 100mb because 50mb is already very fast. They do have plans to increase the upload to 100mb in due time.
Mmmm interesting that. I was wondering the same...

Still, pretty happy with my fiber line...

Looney

Expert Member
Mmmm interesting that. I was wondering the same...

Still, pretty happy with my fiber line...

Can imagine! You lucky! I'm still waiting for mine. Fibrehoods have already planted the poles in my area and right outside my house. The only problem is the supplier that supplies the contractors with the fibre cables is out of stock so they are waiting to get more. Hopefully they got the cables already so they can start, but this rain is only delaying even more.

LLoydizle

Seems I got lucky. Moved into a place with Fibre on the 1st of Feb (TT Connect came on that day to splice the line as well), had my internet running with Cool Ideas on the 3rd of Feb.

I'm the same as you. Got the 20/20 package and loving it so far!