Hmm, one possible positive outcome for this:

The last item in the regulations, 5.21, specifies that the amounts and tariffs in the regulations may be adjusted annually “by determination of the Minister [of Transport]”.

These adjustments may not exceed the Consumer Price Index calculated for the preceding 12 months.

Now there's a reason for the government to manipulate CPI upwards instead of downwards, and us middle class working joes may start getting "inflation related" increases that actually are in touch with reality.

Hmm, one possible positive outcome for this:
Now there's a reason for the government to manipulate CPI upwards instead of downwards, and us middle class working joes may start getting "inflation related" increases that actually are in touch with reality.

I just got 5.7% salary increase, apparently in-line with the CPI.

So to qualify for a time of day discount as an alternate user I need to pay within 7 days of going through a gantry. How are they going to get an invoice to me within 7 days? And if I go under a gantry every day are they going to send me a daily invoice?

So to qualify for a time of day discount as an alternate user I need to pay within 7 days of going through a gantry. How are they going to get an invoice to me within 7 days? And if I go under a gantry every day are they going to send me a daily invoice?

Who cares?

You're not paying them either way.

If I remember correctly, YOU have to go to THEM and ask for the invoice...

Part of me wants to see the system in motion, specifically to see how many people actually bite the bullet and not pay. Unfortunately the Middle-Class the system is designed to screw over typically bends over and takes the dry-powdered pineapples of various sizes. The problem will come in when people are aware from their mailboxes for more than 10 days...

Part of me wants to see the system in motion, specifically to see how many people actually bite the bullet and not pay. Unfortunately the Middle-Class the system is designed to screw over typically bends over and takes the dry-powdered pineapples of various sizes. The problem will come in when people are aware from their mailboxes for more than 10 days...

Like the people who leave Joburg for Durban on 4 December, for their 2 week holiday? Via the N3? Which has gantries?

Like the people who leave Joburg for Durban on 4 December, for their 2 week holiday? Via the N3? Which has gantries?
Are there e-Toll offices in Durban where you can go query and pay said monies? I think not.

I still dont see the point of paying.

its a simple question, Make me. cool lets say they prosecute me, and take me to court, and i argue that i will not pay because I was not involved in the discussions as a memeber of the public. I was at the meetings and I raised my concerns, nothing came of it, I took part in the protests against the tolls and nothing came of it.

so when I am standing there in front of the judge I will say the simple sentance again. "make me"
cool they send me to jail for a week over R100, I take them to court for abusing their rights. and I never end up going to jail.

and time after time people will start arguing "Make me" as a defense.
also we have to pay tolls but the SANRAL CEO got a bonus this year yet nothing has actually happened?
we have to pay tolls, but our president uses tax money to build a house?
we have to pay tolls but the fuel levi goes up every year?

just once more, all together now

make me

Back