FNB Global Account Card

signates

Executive Member
Is there any benefit to using this account for overseas purchases? i.e. Amazon
versus using a normal credit card.
Yes. No currency conversion fees if buying in the currency of the card. Also no fees to tranfer funds to the account from your cheque account.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Can anybody confirmed the car will work fine on amazon and ebay site? Both will allow me to pay in EUR, which is the card I have.

Don't want to load my holiday funds on card that I can't use online

Drifter

Honorary Master
Good question, Load a few bucks and try. You can always transfer back.

Speedster

Executive Member
Can anybody confirmed the car will work fine on amazon and ebay site? Both will allow me to pay in EUR, which is the card I have.

Why not simply use your normal credit card?

signates

Executive Member

Good question, Load a few bucks and try. You can always transfer back.
Can confirm that it works on amazon. Should work on ebay as well.

Bought my wife a Samsung galaxy watch from the US amazon site. The USD price for the item was the exact amount deducted from my card. No forex conversion fee when buying in the currency of the card.

Speedster

Executive Member
The rates is set on day the transaction goes off, I dont pay conversion fees when shop in eur and I have control on what rate I paid for my eur.
Afaik you pay the same conversion fees on the global card as you do on the normal. In fact, paying in dollars on a euro denominated card you pay for conversion twice - once from rand to eur and a second time for the euro to dollar conversion

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Afaik you pay the same conversion fees on the global card as you do on the normal. In fact, paying in dollars on a euro denominated card you pay for conversion twice - once from rand to eur and a second time for the euro to dollar conversion
Yeah this was just send, I wont be buying in dollars on this card.

RiazK

One of the ebucks rules is to fund the global account: "Fund your FNB Global Account(s) from your FNB Fusion Private Wealth Account or FNB Private Wealth Cheque Account to the value of R12 000 or more over the last 3 months."

Will it suffice to just transfer the R12000 into the global account and then out of the global account shortly thereafter?

signates

Executive Member
One of the ebucks rules is to fund the global account: "Fund your FNB Global Account(s) from your FNB Fusion Private Wealth Account or FNB Private Wealth Cheque Account to the value of R12 000 or more over the last 3 months."

Will it suffice to just transfer the R12000 into the global account and then out of the global account shortly thereafter?
I think you should ask this in the ebucks thread.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/tips-to-boost-your-ebucks-1-july-2019-to-30-june-2020.1028674/

I'm not sure as I've never used it for the ebucks points.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

Yes it should be fine, but you loose money as fnb takes cuts on exchange rate. Keep money in global account for 48 hours to be sure.

travcaine

Hi all,

I am travelling to Australia next month and ordered my US card today for the lounge access mainly. I am aware of the $20 annual fee. I am on Premier bundled option, are there any additional charges when using the lounges with a guest?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Hi all,

I am travelling to Australia next month and ordered my US card today for the lounge access mainly. I am aware of the $20 annual fee. I am on Premier bundled option, are there any additional charges when using the lounges with a guest?
You get 10 visits per year. You can take one guest for free, which is deducted from your free visits...

https://www.fnb.co.za/forex/investments/global-accounts.html

Just don't use it at the SLOW lounge here, use your credit card (if you're on PC or above). Use the global card at the lounge overseas...

adam88

If I go to the airport, let's say DBX or IST and I use one of those ATM's that has multiple currencies in it if I have a USD account and I withdraw USD, I won't be charged any conversion, would I?

I used to use a Nedbank VISA Signature card but I looked at my previous trip and was charged
19.964 when the average price of the pound for that day was 19.10 which is too STEEP.

Womz

What would FNB charge for a global transfer using an FNB Global Account to transfer money to an international brokerage account with a base currency in USD? Has anyone used their Global Account for this purpose?

Would it cost the same as making the payment from my ZAR cheque account to the brokerage account?

Last edited:

JayM

Expert Member
What would FNB charge for a global transfer using an FNB Global Account to transfer money to an international brokerage account with a base currency in USD? Has anyone used their Global Account for this purpose?

Would it cost the same as making the payment from my ZAR cheque account to the brokerage account?
I transferred $11K from my USD global account to my IB account (also USD), and I remember it costing over R600 even without currency conversion. I now use E4F who don't charge fees if you transfer over R100K, and their rate is better than FNB too.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Sitting in the Marhaba lounge Dubai terminal 3 gate c23. No problem getting in with the digital card held in my Apple wallet. Just realising I should have tried the LoungeKey app first but at least they take digital cards.

Bon Appetit