Free networks gain ground

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Free networks gain ground

Three community networks, the Johannesburg Wireless User Group (Jawug), Pretoria Wireless Project (PWP) and the Pretoria Wireless User Group (PTAWUG), have successfully linked up their networks to form one of the largest community-run telecoms networks in the southern hemisphere

Keeper

Honorary Master
Thanx - this news should create more WUG users, and one of 'em could maybe be close to my house so I too can connect!

Thanx RPM!

rpm

Admin
Staff member
This is great news for community networks. Well done Jawug, PWP, PTAWUG!

Optimal01

iv been wanting to join JAWUG myself but being a student doesnt help and i dont there are any nodes in my area. I do have LOS of Sandton city though

mossie

Hi All

The more guys that register and plot their locations the easier it will be to get connected in the end :0) you might not know it but you might be in the perfect spot to act as a Transit node and the other node's might help sponsor kit for you to put up :)

Mossie

Keeper

Honorary Master
Hi All

The more guys that register and plot their locations the easier it will be to get connected in the end :0) you might not know it but you might be in the perfect spot to act as a Transit node and the other node's might help sponsor kit for you to put up :)

Mossie
agreed. :cool:

Moederloos

Honorary Master
If you live on a hill and have a nice view, you may just be in line for free kit.
Come on over to IRC.

Keeper

Honorary Master
Sponsor "Raven's Place" haha - the only guy the whole of norkem park has LOS to!
(which is why nobody in Norkem is on the WUG)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I'm in line-of-sigth and all that, cant afford the equiptment at the moment. We'll have to see, maybe someday soon...

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
You chaps know that you can get away with a Linksys / Asus / etc etc access point too?
It's even possible to use an old pc (P1, P2, P3) with a cheapish pci wifi card installed.
My main router (inside my ceiling) is actually a small form factor motherboard from a NAS (Network Attached Storage) server! It had three mini-pci slots on, so it was ideal!

Just wanted to add to the above... A lot of us have been doing this for a while, and have built up quite a lot of experience with most things wifi, and you may very well find that, after chatting to us in irc (irc.jawug.za.net #wnet) that you may have something lying around at home that can be used, or adapted to get you connected.... The key is to chat to us!

Last edited:

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I have los but i cant say i feel like spending R1800 at the moment. What the absolutely cheapest way to connect?