CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I've just helped a client of mine in PE with troubleshooting. Their complex has trenched Frogfoot fibre, and they are seeing more disconnections on average than most of you lot. Their body corp won't do much to help, and I've advised them on their options including LTE and Herotel.

eddief1

Expert Member
Did FF deploy the infrastructure in PE or did they purchase it?

They did purchase some from Blitz, but clearly did not investigate the availability of solid backhaul along the coast, probably just assumed it was available which it is not.

Jaseyyxx

They did purchase some from Blitz, but clearly did not investigate the availability of solid backhaul along the coast, probably just assumed it was available which it is not.
Yeah I've heard some horror stories from blitz, I hope FF can fix the infrastructure soon

cavedog

Honorary Master
they deployed it

Parts of it was bought from Blitz. I don't want to point fingers at Blitz and say that is the reason but when you look at the rest of FF roolouts where they actually build is pretty solid. I have family in Richards Bay where they build and it doesn't go down. Since installation maybe once or twice and the latency is decent and they got double speed promo which is still running.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Also let's not forget what FrogFoot is achieving in SA as a whole.

SA is still a developing country right so compared to the USA that offers 1Gbps for $80 which is about R1300 maybe more per month due to taxes and other fees.

FrogFoot is making it possible for ~R1800 or so depending on you ISP and they give you a choice of your ISP and if you are in a rollout with enough capacity you get 1Gbps for the price of 500Mbps making it cheaper than 1Gbps offered by Verizon US.

I know PE sucks right now but I'm sure it will get better soon. Can't get worse really.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
The thing is, we've been hearing that it will be 'getting better soon' for a few months now.

When is soon? Not pointing fingers at you @cavedog but we've been hearing these promises for the longest time and nothing comes of it. I'm more than happy to share my Smokeping graphs here to show you how bad it really is. I'm 'fortunate' in the sense that I don't play online games and I have a phone hotspot to fall back on, but why should it be necessary to have 40GB loaded onto my phone 'just incase it goes' which is actually becoming a daily endeavour.

As it stands I cannot recommend that anyone sign up for FTTH through Frogfoot and to rather go with LTE or another FNO, if possible. We pay the same price as the rest of the country yet we have to put up with frequent outages, poor service and blanket statements promising results that never materialise.

Leno

Expert Member
I think where FF lost all favour with PE clients was end of last year and early this year when there was terrible congestion yet they denied anything was wrong, only to later admit the problem.

They also continued to sign up and install new clients, making the problem worse.

They have been better admitting when there are problems these days, not perfect but better :)

Retro1337

i see alot of PLZ and Durban maintenance, wonder if they planning to route people through DBN or add as some sort of fail over :unsure: