PhireSide

Honorary Master
So, I feel very stupid now, but I have to confess that the issue was on my side all along.

I have a Unifi AP and controller that handles the config thereof. When a new client (guest or otherwise) joins the home SSID, they get assigned a default group that hands out 1.5mbps up and down until I go onto the controller and manually put them in the 'unlimited' group. I did this so that people coming over don't abuse the WiFi for torrents and app store updates and what not, as at the time it was setup, I was still on the Telkom LTE deal with a 300GB Fair Usage Policy.

So as it turns out, if the controller is turned off, the AP will remember the grouping as long as the client is connected to the AP. If it disconnects and reconnects, it will connect back to the 'default' group which had the 1.5mbps limit. So all my devices were throttled and that was why I was seeing the slow speeds when doing speed tests and across all my connected devices. The only device that I have cabled in is my Pi that runs my Pihole and the NAS which was turned off.

I turned the NAS back on and plugged it in to another wall box and like magic, the correct internet speeds returned. I closed the request with mweb but I feel very silly for not checking everything on my side, but that being said it would have been the last thing that I would have checked as the controller would have been offline anyway.

TL;DR: I was the cause of my own agony and frustration by trying to be 'clever'

JohnStarr

Executive Member
So, I feel very stupid now, but I have to confess that the issue was on my side all along.

I have a Unifi AP and controller that handles the config thereof. When a new client (guest or otherwise) joins the home SSID, they get assigned a default group that hands out 1.5mbps up and down until I go onto the controller and manually put them in the 'unlimited' group. I did this so that people coming over don't abuse the WiFi for torrents and app store updates and what not, as at the time it was setup, I was still on the Telkom LTE deal with a 300GB Fair Usage Policy.

So as it turns out, if the controller is turned off, the AP will remember the grouping as long as the client is connected to the AP. If it disconnects and reconnects, it will connect back to the 'default' group which had the 1.5mbps limit. So all my devices were throttled and that was why I was seeing the slow speeds when doing speed tests and across all my connected devices. The only device that I have cabled in is my Pi that runs my Pihole and the NAS which was turned off.

I turned the NAS back on and plugged it in to another wall box and like magic, the correct internet speeds returned. I closed the request with mweb but I feel very silly for not checking everything on my side, but that being said it would have been the last thing that I would have checked as the controller would have been offline anyway.

TL;DR: I was the cause of my own agony and frustration by trying to be 'clever'
At least it's fixed now, and if someone else has an issue like this in future they can refer to this.

davinrover

Hi all,

Is there anyone on Frogfoot network with 200Mbps or higher connection that would be willing to do a single connection speedtest on Speedtest.net and post it here?
I have a 200/200 and only getting about 50Mbps on single connection and according to my ISP this is a normal kind of thing on connections 200 and higher.
I honestly don't understand why this would be a common practice except the ISP's trying to save bandwidth? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

thehuman

Expert Member
Hi all,

Is there anyone on Frogfoot network with 200Mbps or higher connection that would be willing to do a single connection speedtest on Speedtest.net and post it here?
I have a 200/200 and only getting about 50Mbps on single connection and according to my ISP this is a normal kind of thing on connections 200 and higher.
I honestly don't understand why this would be a common practice except the ISP's trying to save bandwidth? Maybe someone can enlighten me?
1604502240463.png

1604502668303.png