I see they are finally doing some work on the expansion again in Newton park. Connected across the roads in Mowbray street so here's hoping I get some good news sometime soon :o
 
Does anyone know if it's possible to push Telkom/MTN to include an area (7th Avenue Summerstrand)?

I've spoken with everyone in my street and they are all interested in Fibre. Is there a process where we can all sign a document to show interest and hopefully have our street fall into the 'Planned FTTH' process?

I don't ever recall workers breaking up the ground to install Fibre so I'm concerned that we're not even going to be looked at.

Each of the properties within the blue circle are wanting Fibre and already utilise a 10mb+ line.

KrgBAP3.jpg
 
Does anyone know if it's possible to push Telkom/MTN to include an area (7th Avenue Summerstrand)?

I've spoken with everyone in my street and they are all interested in Fibre. Is there a process where we can all sign a document to show interest and hopefully have our street fall into the 'Planned FTTH' process?

I don't ever recall workers breaking up the ground to install Fibre so I'm concerned that we're not even going to be looked at.

Each of the properties within the blue circle are wanting Fibre and already utilise a 10mb+ line.

KrgBAP3.jpg

Everyone wants fibre, not just your merry circle. You'll just have to wait and see where it goes next I'm afraid.
 
Everyone wants fibre, not just your merry circle. You'll just have to wait and see where it goes next I'm afraid.

I don't know why you have to be so cocky. I've actually gone great lengths to discuss fibre with each surrounding property, which they are all prepared to sign up and pay for. Fibre is surrounding the area however, to my knowledge, there hasn't even been fibre installed.

I have read about another company who will considering implementing it with a minimum number of signups however I am not finding any information regarding this from Telkom's side.

Only just last year was 10mb+ implemented in my area when it was in other areas years before this. I'm not prepared to sit around on my ass to be close to the bottom of the barrel again despite paying premium rates out of my ass.

I'd rather try make a change instead of sitting with a thumb up my ass.
 
I don't know why you have to be so cocky. I've actually gone great lengths to discuss fibre with each surrounding property, which they are all prepared to sign up and pay for. Fibre is surrounding the area however, to my knowledge, there hasn't even been fibre installed.

I have read about another company who will considering implementing it with a minimum number of signups however I am not finding any information regarding this from Telkom's side.

Only just last year was 10mb+ implemented in my area when it was in other areas years before this. I'm not prepared to sit around on my ass to be close to the bottom of the barrel again despite paying premium rates out of my ass.

I'd rather try make a change instead of sitting with a thumb up my ass.

Not sure how I was being cocky. Just telling you how it is. I was in the earliest phase of FTTH rollout in PE (I know this only because Telkom said additional installation costs were waived for early adopters). Even then, the backlog for installations was over 80 strong. And once Telkom started phoning houses, it grew even more rapidly. All my neighbours have FTTH now.

The demand for FTTH is enormous. Even lower budget customers move over instantly because 10Mbps fibre has much better latency than 10Mbps DSL, isn't subject to exchange congestion and is much more stable.

Can you imagine the issue you would create for Telkom if they worked on pre-applications for fibre? Everyone would head out and get their neighbourhood to sign a notice of intention, and they'd all still be frustrated because it would still take ages for Telkom to get to them.

Ironically, if either of us is cocky it's you. You aren't above the formal procedure for FTTH or its waiting list. Sit tight and wait for it to come to you. Mill Park had some of the worst DSL in PE before FTTH was rolled out - it wasn't the first suburb to get fibre just because it's also the wealthiest.

If any fibre provider is going to be moved by a list of yours it will be MTN. They're struggling to compete with Telkom and are less likely to have an infinite backlog of suburb installations. They are much more expensive though. Also, the independent fibre providers in other parts of the country (who do collect intentions to sign up) require much larger numbers than those contained in your circle. Get 100 sign ups and send the list to MTN and Telkom and see if anyone gets back to you.
 
Last edited:
chill out folks...

@MartinK, send an email to the local planning engineer Lance van Staden ( [email protected] ) and ask why you don't have FTTH yet as you have everyone ready to sign and are just around the corner from the exchange in Summerstrand.
 
chill out folks...

@MartinK, send an email to the local planning engineer Lance van Staden ( [email protected] ) and ask why you don't have FTTH yet as you have everyone ready to sign and are just around the corner from the exchange in Summerstrand.

My family is good friends with the Van Stadens. I'll drop a enquiry their way as to how Walmer is coming along. Looks like I'm moving house on 7 June.

I hope Walmer's FTTH installation is moving along nicely.
 
My family is good friends with the Van Stadens. I'll drop a enquiry their way as to how Walmer is coming along. Looks like I'm moving house on 7 June.

I hope Walmer's FTTH installation is moving along nicely.

Whatever is in Walmer now is what will remain so for at least another 6 months. A small area in the lower avenues will get done now to add to the footprint.
 
Whatever is in Walmer now is what will remain so for at least another 6 months. A small area in the lower avenues will get done now to add to the footprint.

That sucks. Why no more progress? Things were moving along alright previously.
 
Whatever is in Walmer now is what will remain so for at least another 6 months. A small area in the lower avenues will get done now to add to the footprint.

They seem to be busy laying cables near me again, should be Telkom fibre cables since MTN is already live here.
 
Not sure if Telkom is considering Sunridge Park/Fernglen, but emailed MTN and they confirmed these are being considered.

McD any further tidbits from the Telkom planning side ?
 
Does anyone perhaps know when Telkom will be installing fibre in Sherwood? I had to wait 4 years to be able to get a higher speed than 2mbps due to a forgotten exchange that I was connected to (in Lorraine). Eventually I had to relocate to get a 10mbps line. In other words... My expectations are VERY low. I just need a rough estimate so that I can start dreaming :P

So help please? Mickey Mouse? Anyone? (:
 
Does anyone perhaps know when Telkom will be installing fibre in Sherwood? I had to wait 4 years to be able to get a higher speed than 2mbps due to a forgotten exchange that I was connected to (in Lorraine). Eventually I had to relocate to get a 10mbps line. In other words... My expectations are VERY low. I just need a rough estimate so that I can start dreaming :P

So help please? Mickey Mouse? Anyone? (:
379 or 371 number?

If in a townhouse complex, within a year or two.

If not... move again.
 
No, I can't get VDSL. When we applied for a VDSL 20mbps line, Telkom wanted to give us some ADSL2+ nonsense on which I could only get 13mbps down speed at most. On my normal ADSL 10mbps line I get average 9mbps down speeds and above... sometimes it goes up to 10.09mbps.
 
I noticed that lines are being installed in every odd ave in Newton Park? I live in 2nd ave but I have yet to see anything.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X