MickeyD
RIP
I noticed that lines are being installed in every odd ave in Newton Park? I live in 2nd ave but I have yet to see anything.
That is correct as they do block feeds. Ergo, not necessary to go up or down every street.
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
I noticed that lines are being installed in every odd ave in Newton Park? I live in 2nd ave but I have yet to see anything.
That is correct as they do block feeds. Ergo, not necessary to go up or down every street.
So it is possible that in the future they will be going down every even ave, but that would be a while as it seems 3rd is still being worked on at the corner of Cecil. which is so close to where I live...
So it is possible that in the future they will be going down every even ave, but that would be a while as it seems 3rd is still being worked on at the corner of Cecil. which is so close to where I live...
The same operator will not go down every avenue as it is not necessary. When I get home I will post a schematic to explain it.

Here is a typical block feed... the blue line is the fibre going down the street and the black line is the fibre that feeds the houses in the block.
View attachment 366004

That's a very basic ring feed...
Telkom and Vodacom already have routes running past your home. For quite a while already... Telkom has two primary sites in PE (i.e. all traffic from numbers starting with 04x- passes through them). These are Linton Grange and Donkin (which is in the Sidwell building). There's fibre rings all around the Eastern Cape and PE leading to these two sites but they are not for access purposes (i.e. you cannot link customers onto them). Vodacom has a similar situation as their main base control room is just behind the Linton Grange tower (behind Dampier Motors opposite makro). Their local towers all link back to that site.Comes past my street in Fernglen though - can only be a good thing?
Telkom and Vodacom already have routes running past your home. For quite a while already... Telkom has two primary sites in PE (i.e. all traffic from numbers starting with 04x- passes through them). These are Linton Grange and Donkin (which is in the Sidwell building). There's fibre rings all around the Eastern Cape and PE leading to these two sites but they are not for access purposes (i.e. you cannot link customers onto them). Vodacom has a similar situation as their main base control room is just behind the Linton Grange tower (behind Dampier Motors opposite makro). Their local towers all link back to that site.
The advantage they have is the underground infrastructure, which means they don't have to dig up the roads and pavements all over again! They simply check whether they have space in their existing pipes. If not, push through a small inner duct and blow through a new fibre cable. Chop chop and no council permission required.
So it would work the same as in my case? Red lines are the fiber connections currently being installed, so would lines be run down from 3rd into Cecil street?
View attachment 366014
why does the coverage map show planned FTTH in the Tarket Kloof valley? :crylaugh:
Nice !
Which provider?
Dark Fiber Africa
Have you had any feedback from them if the areas shown as WIP are accurate ?