I am hoping someone from Port Elizabeth can help me out. I am planning on moving to PE soon and i want to find a place where fibre is available. I know there are coverage maps but one can only assume that they are out of date. Can anyone please tell me what areas currently have fibre?

Thanks in advance.
 
I am hoping someone from Port Elizabeth can help me out. I am planning on moving to PE soon and i want to find a place where fibre is available. I know there are coverage maps but one can only assume that they are out of date. Can anyone please tell me what areas currently have fibre?

Thanks in advance.

The Openserve map I linked above is pretty accurate. You can definitely rely upon it to a large extent.
 
I am hoping someone from Port Elizabeth can help me out. I am planning on moving to PE soon and i want to find a place where fibre is available. I know there are coverage maps but one can only assume that they are out of date. Can anyone please tell me what areas currently have fibre?

Thanks in advance.
Parsons Hill. Close to everything!
 
Thanks, do you know what areas they have planned to install fibre in? How long does it usually take?
 
Thanks, do you know what areas they have planned to install fibre in? How long does it usually take?

Check the Openserve map I linked a few posts up. Light purple is FTTH under construction or planned for, and dark purple is the active FTTH areas. Beyond that, only MickeyD might know.
 
Minor update:

- My address is now dark purple on the coverage map, which is lucky because it's a random little extra bit that's changed colour in my area.
- Application submitted via Crystal Web
- Already received call from Telkom and a technician is supposed to inspect my site tomorrow morning
- Super stoked :p
 
Openserve technician stopped by around midday and began work on my installation. He said conduits weren't necessary and opted for an overhead route to connect the pole to the house. As always, some difficulties slowed things down and he's going to return tomorrow morning to finish up. He reckoned one hour for the cabling and one hour for configuration, so here's hoping it's up and running by midday. Great guy - he worked really fast to do as much as he did today.

I'm amazed at how quickly this has taken place.
 
Well, Nokia didn't arrive at 8.30. They haven't arrived at all. For all I know they're working nearby on their infrastructure, but a simple hello and briefing would have been appreciated.

The Openserve technician can't complete my fibre installation because the fibre connections on my pole aren't working. He called Nokia and they said people would stop by 8.30am today to sort it out. He also said they're famous for this crap, and seldom test anything they do thoroughly before moving on.

Edit: Just to keep this thread updated, my fibre is now operational. Although the little black box for the pole is lying in the flowerbed at the base of the pole because the technician has to pop in to mount it properly, everything is actually connected and working fine. The Nokia guys worked for hours on a number of nearby poles - sounded like there were many issues to sort out.

Speed:
6060451882.png
 
Last edited:
Well, Nokia didn't arrive at 8.30. They haven't arrived at all. For all I know they're working nearby on their infrastructure, but a simple hello and briefing would have been appreciated.

The Openserve technician can't complete my fibre installation because the fibre connections on my pole aren't working. He called Nokia and they said people would stop by 8.30am today to sort it out. He also said they're famous for this crap, and seldom test anything they do thoroughly before moving on.

Edit: Just to keep this thread updated, my fibre is now operational. Although the little black box for the pole is lying in the flowerbed at the base of the pole because the technician has to pop in to mount it properly, everything is actually connected and working fine. The Nokia guys worked for hours on a number of nearby poles - sounded like there were many issues to sort out.

Speed:
6060451882.png

I hate you right now :)
 
Edit: Just to keep this thread updated, my fibre is now operational. Although the little black box for the pole is lying in the flowerbed at the base of the pole because the technician has to pop in to mount it properly, everything is actually connected and working fine. The Nokia guys worked for hours on a number of nearby poles - sounded like there were many issues to sort out.

Speed:
6060451882.png

You may be the only person in PE to have 2 separate FTTH installs :)
 
You may be the only person in PE to have 2 separate FTTH installs :)

Possibly. :o

Busy upgrading the main TV setup to 4K. Got a 60" Samsung possibly arriving soon. Preordered an Xbox One S for use as a Blu-ray player. Even ordered an 8TB external hard drive to hold the massive 4K files the household will begin accumulating soon. Thank god we have a 100Mbps connection to download with. :p
 
Does anyone know the holdup for Newton Park? It looked like they were heading in my direction then just stopped :(
 
Does anyone know the holdup for Newton Park? It looked like they were heading in my direction then just stopped :(

I vaguely recall MickeyD saying the rollout had seemingly stopped, but that might have just been a temporary pause. The ongoing rollout to my little area in Walmer isn't being done by Telkom but by Nokia contractors.
 
I had to go see my accountants just next to Angelo's on 6th and main rd walmer and the guys were pulling the fiber from the man hole to the pole

Chatted to them and it was for Openserve

That small block is light purple on the map, it may turn dark purple soon :P
 
Still nothing in Newton Park. Anyone have any contacts or know when they will be looking at the area?

Seems to have ground to a halt - Millpark and Linkside covered up to their arses in fibre tho.
 
Seems to have ground to a halt - Millpark and Linkside covered up to their arses in fibre tho.

And Walmer. My little patch in Walmer was recently filled in by Nokia contractors though. Not sure why Telkom/Openserve have slowed down so much.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X