Help please?

eek

Expert Member
I am in no way as gifted as most of you when it comes to pc's and networking etc. so I hope someone can help me or just point me in some direction.

My problem is simple and the solution probably even more simple, but for the life of me, I don't know where to even begin.

I have recently decided to boot the ole Telkom Premium Combo Router and replaced it with a Netgear DGN2000, but ever since I've had this problem that every time I download something I can't surf the net. This happens on pretty much anything I download, from DL content for my xbox to simple files via Firefox such as Adobe Acrobat. Also tend to get this problem when on youtube.

Could it be something to do with priority settings or something where no bandwidth is left available for browsing? And how do I go about sorting this out?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanx!

P.S. I use Vista. ;)

eek

Expert Member
Mmmmm...I just can't really see how this has to do with the telkom line as it worked fine from day one for over 2 years with my previous modem and all of a sudden with the new modem I get this problem. It's as if whenever I download something all my bandwidth gets allocated to the download in process leaving none left for other internet activities...can't even open google. And as mentioned, even if I go onto youtube it does the same, allocated all it's bandwidth to the youtube page leaving none for other browsing. I just would've thought it to be a setting of some sort on the modem setup.

Thanx, will check if I have the latest firmware though I know that my modem automatically checks every time I access the modem admin panel. No cash to upgrade to Win 7 at the moment! :(

Mars

Honorary Master
Get Netlimiter. Then, when you download, set a max limit for the download app, so there is some free bandwidth for you to surf.