How to track internet usage?

joppenheim

Hi there

Does anybody know how I can track my home's internet usage?

I have subscribed to Telkom's 50GB LTE home package and it works great, but its finished. 50Gb in 27 days!!!
There are a 5 people and multiple services that use it on a daily basis but even 50Gb sounds like a lot.

Is there any software I can use to track the internet usage of my home network?
I need to know which devices are consuming internet and which websites are "feeding" them!

The internet is provided by an LTE wifi router with limited firmware.

Any help appreciated!

J

Messugga

Honorary Master
50gb really isn't a lot. I hit a couple hundred per month without even trying.

YouTube scales to your available bandwidth. A FHD video can clock in at hundreds of MB pretty easily.

Also check for software updates and similar.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Total Sent(Mb): 31381.85
Total Received(Mb): 152471.38
Total Combined (Mb): 183853.23

And my main pc was turned off for most of this period. Still have to download some recent Steam purchases.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Well if you are not doing p2p then 50 is plenty.

Isn't you tube zero rated as well ?

kang

50gb is nothing. But well done for making it last 27 days. I can't even manage that in 10 days, without torrents.

Log in to your router and send a blank sms to 188. I'm on the Telkom wireless LTE deal. Not sure if the sms is the same for you.
I also have the Network Meter gadget on my desktop...for windows 10.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
50gb is nothing. But well done for making it last 27 days. I can't even manage that in 10 days, without torrents.

Log in to your router and send a blank sms to 188. I'm on the Telkom wireless LTE deal. Not sure if the sms is the same for you.
I also have the Network Meter gadget on my desktop...for windows 10.
Yeah, if I queue to p2p then I hit 75 - 100 in a day. Maklik maklik...

agentrfr

Expert Member
Between the eleventy macs (don't ask - ugh) and my show backups, two of us internet savvy users easily do 600+ gigs a month...

@OP don't bother, internet usage will go up exponentially with time. 50GB is nothing. Rather get a fixed line (fibre/vdsl) and an uncapped account. The extra R100 a month between 200gigs and uncapped isn't worth the stress of being worried you'll "run out".

newklear

^5 for what KoeksGHT shared, networx is simple to use but needs to be installed on every device to monitor bandwidth usage.

In your situation joppenheim, having LTE through a wireless and wired router makes visualising data usage difficult to watch unless you are monitoring on the router or host itself, i.e changing your network setup to have a node in between the LTE Router and your BYOD's on your home network.

Other than that, have a look through some of these tools, some may help ;)

koeksGHT

Dealer
^5 for what KoeksGHT shared, networx is simple to use but needs to be installed on every device to monitor bandwidth usage.

In your situation joppenheim, having LTE through a wireless and wired router makes visualising data usage difficult to watch unless you are monitoring on the router or host itself, i.e changing your network setup to have a node in between the LTE Router and your BYOD's on your home network.

Other than that, have a look through some of these tools, some may help ;)
It's actually very interesting watching in real time how Netflix/YouTube/cs/dota use bandwidth.

Netflix Stream HD

214qwfqfasf.PNG