Huawei P30 Lite

lvdheever

I am new to mybroadband and hope this posting is in the right place.

I bought a new Huawei P30 Lite from an independent online shop recently. The new phone was chosen specifically to use Wi-Fi calling at my house (since the Vodacom GSM signal is non-existent after the cell tower serving our area has been discontinued due to legal action). However, I still cannot get Wi-Fi calling working on my Huawei P30 Lite. The Wifi calling option is enabled and it is set to Wifi preferred and LTE/4G is also enabled. I have checked with Vodacom call centre that Wifi Calling and LTE is provisioned/enabled on my sim but still Wifi calling is not working.
Technicians in the Vodacom shop could not help and did not really know what wifi calling is and the Vodacom technician that was allocated to help the numerous clients in the estate that are without cellphone signal to setup wifi calling also could not help thus far.

When I put the phone on Airplane mode and connect to my home wifi I get the message "Disable Airplane mode to make a call?" [This is the setup that we tested wifi calling on my husbands iPhone and it works fine.]
I am a "light" user of my phone and often set most apps and settings to not use mobile data and prefer wifi and not auto download or auto update, etc.
Is there may be a setting that could affect wifi calling that I am unaware of?
Is it possible that the firmware (which I pressume is non-Vodacom) can affect wifi calling?
What else can I try before doing a complete hard factory reset to start again (I configured the Huawei P30 Lite from a Xaoimi Redmi 5A using the Huawei's Phone Clone app)

Model: MAR-LX1M
Build number: 9.1.0.248(C185E5R4P1) GPU Turbo
EMUI version: 9.1.0
Android version: 9
APN: LTE.Vodacom, lte.vodacom.za

Sayf777

Expert Member

I bought a new Huawei P30 Lite from an independent online shop recently. The new phone was chosen specifically to use Wi-Fi calling at my house (since the Vodacom GSM signal is non-existent after the cell tower serving our area has been discontinued due to legal action). However, I still cannot get Wi-Fi calling working on my Huawei P30 Lite. The Wifi calling option is enabled and it is set to Wifi preferred and LTE/4G is also enabled. I have checked with Vodacom call centre that Wifi Calling and LTE is provisioned/enabled on my sim but still Wifi calling is not working.
Technicians in the Vodacom shop could not help and did not really know what wifi calling is and the Vodacom technician that was allocated to help the numerous clients in the estate that are without cellphone signal to setup wifi calling also could not help thus far.

When I put the phone on Airplane mode and connect to my home wifi I get the message "Disable Airplane mode to make a call?" [This is the setup that we tested wifi calling on my husbands iPhone and it works fine.]
I am a "light" user of my phone and often set most apps and settings to not use mobile data and prefer wifi and not auto download or auto update, etc.
Is it possible that the firmware (which I pressume is non-Vodacom) can affect wifi calling?
What else can I try before doing a complete hard factory reset to start again (I configured the Huawei P30 Lite from a Xaoimi Redmi 5A using the Huawei's Phone Clone app)

Try a Cell C sim on your P30 Lite and try another prepaid Vodacom one if you can and see if they work.

There shouldn't be an issue with the firmware, in my experience they just work on the Huawei.

Speedster

Executive Member

You can also try your SIM card in your husbands iPhone. If the VoWifi works on his phone you know the issue is with your device, if it doesn't the issue is on VC side

miz_pimp

Also, if you have international calling activated, WiFi calling will not be enabled. This happened to me. I subscribed to the R5 international calling subscription, and the only way I know that it's deactivated is when I see "WiFi call" instead of "Vodacom-SA" in my status bar.

malstan

Hi

My daughter just upgraded to a P30Lite. She is moaning because of the battery life. 100% when she goes to bed on 80% in the morning. No activity and auto updates etc has been disabled.

Anything else I can look at in the settings?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Hi

My daughter just upgraded to a P30Lite. She is moaning because of the battery life. 100% when she goes to bed on 80% in the morning. No activity and auto updates etc has been disabled.

Anything else I can look at in the settings?
What's your reception like? Is wifi enabled overnight?

The Huawei battery management is pretty aggressive, if you haven't specifically allowed most apps to run they will be terminated when the phone is idle.

Post screenshots of the battery utilisation screens in the morning (ie, showing what has consumed battery).

lvdheever

Also, if you have international calling activated, WiFi calling will not be enabled. This happened to me. I subscribed to the R5 international calling subscription, and the only way I know that it's deactivated is when I see "WiFi call" instead of "Vodacom-SA" in my status bar.
How can I check if International Calling is disabled? Or is it another call to Vodacom Customer Care hoping you get a consultant that knows the stuff?
In the mean time I am going to do a test with another Sim card from an iPhone for which Wifi Calling is working in my house - will report the outcome.

miz_pimp

How can I check if International Calling is disabled? Or is it another call to Vodacom Customer Care hoping you get a consultant that knows the stuff?
In the mean time I am going to do a test with another Sim card from an iPhone for which Wifi Calling is working in my house - will report the outcome.
The international calling subscription is something that you need to opt-in to via USSD. So if you haven't done that, it will not be enabled.

Hopefully you can get it sorted soon.

lvdheever

Thanks Sayf777 Speedster and miz_pimp.

I tested my husband's simcard in my P30 Lite and the wifi calling worked immediately on starting up. So now I know there is nothing wrong on the phone settings - the problem is somewhere on my Vodacom profile. I then phoned Vodacom customer care who said that International Calling was set and they changed it to "Natonal" but still it is not working (after waiting for a day as advised and switching the phone off overnight). I will now go into the Vodacom shop and sit with the technician until they sort this out on my profile.

Sayf777

Expert Member

I tested my husband's simcard in my P30 Lite and the wifi calling worked immediately on starting up. So now I know there is nothing wrong on the phone settings - the problem is somewhere on my Vodacom profile. I then phoned Vodacom customer care who said that International Calling was set and they changed it to "Natonal" but still it is not working (after waiting for a day as advised and switching the phone off overnight). I will now go into the Vodacom shop and sit with the technician until they sort this out on my profile.
Edit: Sorry nvm misread.

Sayf777

Expert Member

Did you receive a message stating a service was deactivated?

lvdheever

A quick update on the long saga of trying to get WIFI calling working on my Vodacom number: WIFI calling works in my P30 Lite phone with my husbands Vodacom sim card. He is on the same contract as I am - Smart M+. However, neither VoLTE or WIFI calling works on the phone when it has my sim installed. I have contacted Vodacom Customer Care and been into the Vodacom shops numerous times, but few of the agents/technicians know anything about WIFI calling (telling me it is the same as Whatsapp calling, or not knowing what it is, or saying that Vodacom does not support it, only Cell C, etc).
The only difference to my husband's contract that I know of is that I have a twin call service on my primary number and he does not. Since "twin calling" is also routing related I thought that I should deactivate this to ensure that it does not affect the WIFI calling. I have been trying to deactivate the twin call service, but even though the query has been "resolved" and closed as the system shows it is deactivated, it is not fully deactivated as SMS messages to the twin call still gets delivered to the primary number.
And WIFI calling on my number still is not working...