inSyt

Hey guys:,

Need advice deciding between a 2013 Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium and 2012 VW Golf 6 1.4tsi Comfortline/Highline. Price and mileage (+-120k with FSH) is similar for all 3 vehicles.

G6 has a more premium feeling interior and drive. i30 looks better on the outside and should be cheaper to maintain in the long run. Can a 2012 1.4tsi with 120k on the clock be trusted for another 100k?

Thanks.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
2011 i30 owner here.

Boring, slow, reliable car with cheap parts if you shop around. Mine is nearly at 250'000km now with no major issues (waterpump failed +- 100'000km ago, and I replaced the drop links which were R550 for a set). Comfy enough around town, but the clutch action is very finicky and the steering can feel heavy. It will definitely feel like a dog when compared to the G6 in terms of pulling power and handling.

Those VW engines are known to have some issues (IIRC, something to do with oil consumption and/or ring lands causing the excessive oil usage), so check out the history of the car before you commit.

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I think over 100k the Hyundai will cost less to maintain. The dsg box on 1.4 models seems to sometimes give problems, the engine seems be ok in most of them.

inSyt

2011 i30 owner here.

Boring, slow, reliable car with cheap parts if you shop around. Mine is nearly at 250'000km now with no major issues (waterpump failed +- 100'000km ago, and I replaced the drop links which were R550 for a set). Comfy enough around town, but the clutch action is very finicky and the steering can feel heavy. It will definitely feel like a dog when compared to the G6 in terms of pulling power and handling.

Those VW engines are known to have some issues (IIRC, something to do with oil consumption and/or ring lands causing the excessive oil usage), so check out the history of the car before you commit.

Thanks for the link. Those early VAG tsi engines seem like a lucky packet. Don't know whether it's due to bad design, our fuel not being suitable or people not used to topping up oil on a new car.

Anyways, since it will be second hand, and a lot of the usage will be in traffic and around robots, I'm thinking I should just go with the i30.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master

Need advice deciding between a 2013 Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium and 2012 VW Golf 6 1.4tsi Comfortline/Highline. Price and mileage (+-120k with FSH) is similar for all 3 vehicles.

G6 has a more premium feeling interior and drive. i30 looks better on the outside and should be cheaper to maintain in the long run. Can a 2012 1.4tsi with 120k on the clock be trusted for another 100k?

Thanks.

Normally I would say go for the VW, but I had a Jetta 5 1.4 Tsi that gave endless issues. So maybe I just had a dud, but after that I don't really trust the Tsi's anymore. It was light on fuel and pulled really nice, also never left me stranded, just regularly had small engine related issues. If not for the last mentioned I would have kept that car for many years.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Manual or Automatic? Makes all the difference in this decision.

inSyt

Normally I would say go for the VW, but I had a Jetta 5 1.4 Tsi that gave endless issues. So maybe I just had a dud, but after that I don't really trust the Tsi's anymore. It was light on fuel and pulled really nice, also never left me stranded, just regularly had small engine related issues. If not for the last mentioned I would have kept that car for many years.

Yeah they great cars, pity those TSi engines. They putting me off. Hopefully they sorted them out for the 7th generation Jettas and Golfs.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
Yeah they great cars, pity those TSi engines. They putting me off. Hopefully they sorted them out for the 7th generation Jettas and Golfs.

I suspect they did, but I am not sure if I would ever take the risk again, once bitten twice shy and all. I know a few people that owns Tsi's, none with any problems, but I still wouldn't buy one again for myself.

inSyt

I suspect they did, but I am not sure if I would ever take the risk again, once bitten twice shy and all. I know a few people that owns Tsi's, none with any problems, but I still wouldn't buy one again for myself.

Totally hear you. You expect a 1% failure rate. Based on feedback I'm getting, TSi sounds more like 10%. Disappointing when you consider the price of the cars these days and the cost to repair them. They should be getting better in reliability, not going backwards.

Sumen

Expert Member

Thanks.
What's the cost of these vehicles?

Brawler

Honorary Master
Drive both and decide which you prefer but keep in mind the i30 will be far more reliable and cheaper to maintain in the long run.