iPhone 13 contract vs prepaid comparison

Totempole

Expert Member

csm_22453867_Smartphones_8af98cb314.jpg

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My dad just bought a 13 for each of his grandkids - R13300 in the US vs R17,299 here? Prepaid is fine.

R13...

Honorary Master
5k for doubling of storage from 256 onward. Seems a bit too exact.

Roo!

Expert Member
@Jan There's a typo:

In addition, each storage tier has been doubled, with the minimum now being 64GB instead of 128GB.

Should be 128GB instead of 64GB

deweyzeph

Executive Member
You're missing out the opportunity cost of being locked into a 12-month or 24 month contract. You should factor that into your calculations.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
My dad just bought a 13 for each of his grandkids - R13300 in the US vs R17,299 here? Prepaid is fine.

That only works if you fly it over yourself, works out a **** ton more expensive if you import it and it goes via customs.

I did the math on the Pro 256GB and before adding in the courier fee I was already on 32k for a 24k phone.

You need to remember to add US VAT to the US price, then once it gets here its a compounded 7/15/7% taxes.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
You need to remember to add US VAT to the US price, then once it gets here its a compounded 7/15/7% taxes.

There is no VAT in the US. And even if there were, VAT (or whatever federal or state sales tax) is only added to items sold within the borders of the US. It's a principle of international trade that sales taxes are not levelled on exported goods.

You're missing out the opportunity cost of being locked into a 12-month or 24 month contract. You should factor that into your calculations.
Additionally, the flexibility in one's ability to manage their monthly expenses is worth the premium in going prepaid. Cash is always king when it comes to depreciating assets, unless the upside is exponential (i.e. 50% discount).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That only works if you fly it over yourself, works out a **** ton more expensive if you import it and it goes via customs.

I did the math on the Pro 256GB and before adding in the courier fee I was already on 32k for a 24k phone.

I know. 6% in our case.

FWIW it's not VAT, it's sales tax

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
There is no VAT in the US. And even if there were, VAT (or whatever federal or state sales tax) is only added to items sold within the borders of the US. It's a principle of international trade that sales taxes are not levelled on exported goods.

Yeah, but you’d need to use something like Aramex Global shopper to import it which is like 6.25% sales tax if I remember correctly as their depot is in New York.

If it could be done via Amazon you’d save some bucks, but online is pretty much direct from Apple, who naturally don’t ship internationally.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

That's not truly applicable to a majority of iphone users within the affordability bracket to buy a recently released phone, how often do people port their phone numbers, change/cancel their phone numbers, or change their consumption usage behavior (downwards) and therefore their spending behavior? Some, but a real small minority.

krono9

Should discount the contract term payments further to arrive at comparable present value.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
How much will an iPhone 13 cost if you have no sense (Contract) and no money (Apple)