Iphone 3GS stuck in loop

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Sorry if this was covered before.

I have a Iphone 3GS that i got from a friend. He wanted to bin the thing so i took it from him.

The problem with the phone is that its stuck in some kind of a boot loop. It shows the apple logo but then just reboots and starts over. It never loads completely. I have tried restoring it via iTunes and tried a custom firmware with red snow. No luck

Does anyone here maybe know if it even is possible to fix it or is the bin the only place this phone should be

Thanks in advance for any ideas

grok

Honorary Master
Try restoring it in DFU mode & setup as a new phone or use tinyumbrella to kick it out of the loop. I'd say try a custom firmware but you've tried that.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Does itunes pick up a phone in DFU mode? FYI, connect the phone to itunes and just hold down the home+power button. iTunes should detect a phone in recovery mode.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Yes it does pick it up. I tried 5.0 but it didnt work. Itunes gives an error when it tries to restore.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using MyBroadband Android App

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Try an older version first, or download the ipsw local. When itunes prompts you to restore, hold down SHIFT and click restore. Then select your IPSW. FYI, if it's a 3GS with an older bootrom like mine, you'll be able to jailbreak 5.0 untethered.

fxit_man

Executive Member
Yes it does pick it up. I tried 5.0 but it didnt work. Itunes gives an error when it tries to restore.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using MyBroadband Android App
That's because Apple is no longer signing 5.0. You will only be able to restore to 5.0.1

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Update

I have downloaded iOS 5.0.1 and tried to restore it in iTunes.

I get to the stage where iTunes says Preparing iPhone for restore, then it goes onto waiting for iPhone.

After that it just stops and gives me a error

"the iPhone could not be restored, An unknown error occured (9)"

Should I just give up with this ****ing phone

alexjay

This solution worked for me.

Uninstall and delete all apple software on pc, itunes, safari.

Download the latest itunes.
Itunes should detect the phone and be able to do a restore

Sent from my GT-P1000 using MyBroadband Android App

fxit_man

Executive Member
Update

I have downloaded iOS 5.0.1 and tried to restore it in iTunes.

I get to the stage where iTunes says Preparing iPhone for restore, then it goes onto waiting for iPhone.

After that it just stops and gives me a error

"the iPhone could not be restored, An unknown error occured (9)"

Should I just give up with this ****ing phone
Try restore it from DFU mode - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slumdawg

get Recboot worked for me when my fiance' phone was stuck on apple logo

Half_Frog

Expert Member
UPDATE

I have tried to restore the device with all of the methods that has ben mentioned in this thread. Still stuck in a boot loop. Apple logo comes on and after a few seconds it goes away and just starts over.

fxit_man

Executive Member
UPDATE

I have tried to restore the device with all of the methods that has ben mentioned in this thread. Still stuck in a boot loop. Apple logo comes on and after a few seconds it goes away and just starts over.
May indicate a hardware failure.

You sure you restored from DFU mode and not Recovery Moe? Did it successfully restore the device?

Half_Frog

Expert Member
May indicate a hardware failure.

You sure you restored from DFU mode and not Recovery Moe? Did it successfully restore the device?
Im busy downloading iOS 5.0.1 via iTunes and im gonna try it in DFU mode now. Will update once im done

Lounger

Expert Member
I have the same issue. I suspect end of battery life or a faulty connection.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Nope didnt work. Time for this ****ing phone to meet the bin. Thanks for you help guys.

fxit_man

Executive Member
Waaiiiit! :p

Bear with me, but are you SURE you are in DFU mode. I only ask because a lot of people get confused between DFU and Recovery mode.

When in DFU mode, the iPhone screen should stay blank, and iTunes will pop up saying it has detected a phone in Recovery mode (ignore the recovery bit), as long as the phone screen is black, it is in DFU mode.

Also, when you try to restore, what happens?