Linux distro for gaming

Stillie

Expert Member
Good day ya'll,

Im sorry, this must be the most annoying post for your linux guys out there, i have heard linux is coming up in the world when it comes to gaming, i want to try this again and go linux. Which distro is recommended for gaming, i have only tried ubuntu (this was maybe 8 years ago or something)

Which one would you linux fundis suggest.

The other concern i have, i remember there being some serious driver related issues when it came to systems, i was wondering how is the driver compatibility these days when it comes to linux?

Thanks again,
an 1000 apologies for another "Which linux" thread

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It's called a Playstation 4 or Xbox One.f

If you absolutely want to torture yourself and do it on PC then I see no point in going after anything other than SteamOS.

Stillie

Expert Member
It's called a Playstation 4 or Xbox One.f

If you absolutely want to torture yourself and do it on PC then I see no point in going after anything other than SteamOS.
i already have an xbox one but i would like to do other things on the pc other than gaming.

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm a big fan of linux and been using it since 2004.

I however do not recommend it for gaming, just too much hassle. I only have win10 installed on my gaming rig.

If you don't want to dualboot you can use linux on your pc and run windows in a VM with hardware passthrough to the GPU which will run at near native speed. This does depend on whether your hardware supports it though.

https://level1techs.com/video/new-tech-iommu-users-looking-glass-headless-passthrough

Stillie

Expert Member
installed linux mint last night, downloaded CSGO and boom! Works, simple and works well. I dont get as many frames as i used to in windows 95+FPS on linux but i can live with 90+FPS easily
Loving Mint, simple OS to come from windows and damn quick!!! The disk was formatted and installed in about 5mins which was great. Boot times are amazing!

So far Linux is able to do everything i want and is really simple. Never had any issues at all from Drivers, to software, all the software i need is on linux so no issue there...

I have been wanting to go the linux route for so long and am able to do it.

So happy!!!

Stillie

Expert Member
Steam built their own Debian based distro exactly for this purpose. Haven't used it in a while so can't comment on what the game support is like at the moment, but worked fairly well when I tried a few years ago.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/
i have the linux steam app which is how i am getting CSGO working on the OS but i didnt try this SteamOS. I was concerned if i wanted to play something like Diablo or Minecraft then it may not work on the SteamOS. I didnt want to be locked down to Steam games only (I have not read anything on SteamOS im just making assumptions here

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
i have the linux steam app which is how i am getting CSGO working on the OS but i didnt try this SteamOS. I was concerned if i wanted to play something like Diablo or Minecraft then it may not work on the SteamOS. I didnt want to be locked down to Steam games only (I have not read anything on SteamOS im just making assumptions here
Debian is Debian so the underlying OS remains the same.

If you can run Diablo or Minecraft on Mint you can run it on SteamOS.

if you can't run it on Mint....you can't run it on SteamOS either (without emulation).

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
So basically you're to poor to afford a windows license, on a gaming rig?
Yes, that is it. :laugh:

I have much better things to do with R1000, or whatever a license costs these days, than send it to Bill Gates.

bar1

Expert Member
I am also a Linux guy, but for my gaming machine i use windows.
however in the next few weeks i am planning on giving steamOS a try.