Linux distro for gaming

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
One thing that we need to remember is that a certain Gabe Newell(Valve Inc) made it possible to run games on Windows, when at the time even Microsoft were not interested in making this happen or thought it was possible for Games to be run on Windows, now bear in mind this was in 1985.

35 years later, and again, Gabe and his team started campaigning for Linux to become a gaming platform, hence why we have SteamOS, WINE and I am not sure what else, however the adaption of Linux as a gaming platform has actually progressed WAY faster and more efficiently thanit ever did with Windows.

@SauRoNZA will most likely know a bit more regarding Linux use and Consoles, but on the Desktop side of things I do think that it was adapted quickly when compared to Windows, it is just matter of dev houses porting games to run natively in Linux without the need for emulation. I do believe this is already happening with certain games, like Witcher(I think this game will run natively without WINE?)

A cool idea for a gaming friendly version of Linux, would be a simplified CLI, and maybe the ability to monitor your PC use stats real time within terminal...though i find stuff like that anoracky and cool.

Though correct me if I am wrong, way back then if you wanted to play video games you needed a console...unless you wanted to play Pong.
Emulation will always be required unless....

1.Devs stop using DirectX (Microsoft)

Or

2. Microsoft ports DirectX to Linux.

With Microsoft’s drive to put cross play and Xbox Live on more and more platforms I don’t think the latter is impossible though.

Console space both Nintendo and Sony use *nix platforms for this and previous generations.

Xbox uses stripped down bare metal versions of Windows on all their consoles.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
@SauRoNZA

Thanks, I actually completely over looked that. WINE is actually just an implementation of DX9 come to think of it. It isn't an "emulator" in the traditional sense.

beans100

Honorary Master
Emulation will always be required unless....

1.Devs stop using DirectX (Microsoft)

Or

2. Microsoft ports DirectX to Linux.

With Microsoft’s drive to put cross play and Xbox Live on more and more platforms I don’t think the latter is impossible though.

Console space both Nintendo and Sony use *nix platforms for this and previous generations.

Xbox uses stripped down bare metal versions of Windows on all their consoles.
Vulkan???

CPTBoy

I've converted my MacPro 5.1 to run PopOS exclusively.

I'm in the market for a new GPU to replace my HD5870 currently in the machine. I must say the open source drivers is not that great for this card as it performs much better in MacOS.

So the question is, which brand to get? I'm thinking 1050TI / 1060 3GB or RX 560 / 570.
I know NVIDIA provides propitiatory driver for Linux, but does AMD do the same for newer GPU's?

This will mostly be for coding, but might do some light gaming here and there.

I need something that will be a bit future proof and drive maybe 3 4k screens? ( Or is that asking too much from these cards? )

ODTech

I am also a Linux guy, but for my gaming machine i use windows.
however in the next few weeks i am planning on giving steamOS a try.
Afaik there is no option yet to enable proton in steamos unless you go into the config files. Might as well just use mint or whatever other flavor and install steam then run it in big picture mode.

To all the naysayers. Valve's version of Wine is working wonders for windows games on Linux. Most of the games i've tried work and with DXVK you get near native performance. I was playing dark souls 3 on a pentium G4400 with 4Gig ram and a rx 470. I didn't check the fps but it ran just fine with no stuttering or frame drops. I'm at 260 hours played..

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
For those of you that play wow, I see wow64 is listed as platinum status with lutris. Ill let you know in a weeks time how it works out after I finish downloading the 60GB dl!