Linux distro for gaming

The_Imp_ZA

I recall reading some time ago that the Linux port of Left4Dead was outperforming the Windows version on the same hardware.

The latest comparisons I've seen show Nvidia's Linux drivers still outperforming AMD's.
Not sure if that'll still be the case next year though. AMD is pushing Linux hard, whereas Nvidia is being actively hostile to things like VFIO (the code 43 error) because they want you to buy a Quadro for no other reason than to line their own pockets.

There are some outliers for games, for sure. I don't recall L4D because it's so old, but take for example games that use OpenGL instead of DirectX (like Source titles like L4D). AMD's OpenGL implementation is significantly better on MESA in Linux than on Windows (or the propriety AMD-GPU driver on Linux which uses the same code base as the Windows version). A recent example, the CEMU emulator for Wii U, runs better and more consistently under Wine with the open-source MESA driver in Linux than natively on Windows.

Another example I remember is that at 1080p, for BioShock infinite, Windows runs better. But at 4K or higher, the Linux port runs better and more consistently.

SJB

Currently, I have 6 Linux machines that we are using for gaming. Some (Integrated GPU's) are primarily used to LAN Urban terror, whereas the machines with 1060, 1070 or 1080's are perfect for the more demanding Steam library with graphics on Ultra. (I don't use any AMD gpu's - so can't comment in that regard)

I currently have more than 200 games in my steam library, and only recently started adding the "windows" games that are fully playable using the latest proton beta engine (see protondb.com). Project Cars 2 and most of the Lego Games are now working really well with the latest proton beta. From what I can gather, it is primarily just the anti-cheat software that is preventing the Windows based games of running properly on Linux

I find Ubuntu 18.04 slightly better with windows games than LinuxMint 18.3 and 19.1, and will most likely now standardise on Ubuntu 18.04 for all the machines in future.

Just my 2c for what its worth.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
It's called a Playstation 4 or Xbox One.f

If you absolutely want to torture yourself and do it on PC then I see no point in going after anything other than SteamOS.
Nothing is easier than PC, unless you're an absolute moron.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nothing is easier than PC, unless you're an absolute moron.
Bollocks.

There is nothing easier than putting disc in and pressing play from the moment you bought it.

Even if you bought the whole thing it’s a case of simple same day plug it in and maybe update and go.

PC is just simply not that easy and if you claim that you are talking out of your ass with deep bias.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Bollocks.

There is nothing easier than putting disc in and pressing play from the moment you bought it.

Even if you bought the whole thing it’s a case of simple same day plug it in and maybe update and go.

PC is just simply not that easy and if you claim that you are talking out of your ass with deep bias.
You are right, consoles are simplified and nerfed pc`s that take away the hard work of clicking "next".

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You are right, consoles are simplified and nerfed pc`s that take away the hard work of clicking "next".
Along with needing to upgrade it. Needing to troubleshoot broken **** when drivers update and also having 500 options too many to fiddle with.

PC’s aren’t any more, but they certainly aren’t easy.

Especially not when **** goes wrong.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Along with needing to upgrade it. Needing to troubleshoot broken **** when drivers update and also having 500 options too many to fiddle with.

If **** goes wrong, you're doing it wrong.
My mate just had to toss his PS4 out cause the fan packed up and the whole machine died with it. With a PC that would have been an easy fix. In fact, if the fan packed up with the PC wouldn't.

Some things are better on PC, and then there's consoles for those who don't know what they're doing.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If **** goes wrong, you're doing it wrong.
My mate just had to toss his PS4 out cause the fan packed up and the whole machine died with it. With a PC that would have been an easy fix. In fact, if the fan packed up with the PC wouldn't.

Some things are better on PC, and then there's consoles for those who don't know what they're doing.
It’s an equally easy fix on the PS4...your mate is just a knob for throwing it out.

PS4 just won’t start with a dead fan for it’s own protection. A rather sensible thing if you think about it.

Also 80% of people are going to do it very wrong on PC. This has been proven to me over and over again helping other people sort their **** out.

Believe whatever you tell yourself but PC is most certainly not the easy option in this equation.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma

I game on linux. Manjaro. Im on a laptop. Most stuff comes through the massive collection on Steam. Its not hard.

This is my desktop. Fear my 512mb intel onboard gfx.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I game on linux. Manjaro. Im on a laptop. Most stuff comes through the massive collection on Steam. Its not hard.

This is my desktop. Fear my 512mb intel onboard gfx.
Like I said, it’s not hard...but it’s certainly not the easiest option.

Also, just because one can do something doesn’t mean one should do something.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Like I said, it’s not hard...but it’s certainly not the easiest option.

Also, just because one can do something doesn’t mean one should do something.
The way I see it, consoles are nerfed PCs. Yes, you need to upgrade PCs as the years go past, but most of it is modular and can be done in parts. Especially if you want the best kit.

I think one of the bigger pulls for me, is a PC is not just a device for gaming. Its also a media creation device, production device and many other things. This allows some awesome synergy for gamers thats harder to do with a console. Especially for streams that do production.

As a PC gamer you have the largest choice and best kit.

Saying that, Im not against any console, if you got the loot. Why not. Certain consoles fill useful niches (Switch).

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
It’s an equally easy fix on the PS4...your mate is just a knob for throwing it out.

PS4 just won’t start with a dead fan for it’s own protection. A rather sensible thing if you think about it.

Also 80% of people are going to do it very wrong on PC. This has been proven to me over and over again helping other people sort their **** out.

Believe whatever you tell yourself but PC is most certainly not the easy option in this equation.
You're the knob. The fan was "professionally" replaced by a shop but it was too late. My mate doesn't do repairs himself.

Don't matter how hard you try, you can't convince me. Been building PC's since the mid 90's. A console is nice, so is tee.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Don't matter how hard you try, you can't convince me. Been building PC's since the mid 90's. A console is nice, so is tee.
I’ve been building them since the 80’s.

Precisely why I can tell you a console is the clear winner if you goal is to play games as simply and easily as possible.

Not to mention the PS4 has the best games.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Interesting experience. I recently tried Windows 10 out again, and eventually gave up. It was too slow, even for gaming. My laptop has very modest hardware.

Installed Manjaro again and the same games I normally play on Windows. One of them is Atlas Reactor. It runs faster on linux+proton than it does on Windows 10 (fresh install).

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Subnautica, another game that runs faster on Manjaro than Windows. It used to take 300 seconds to load with windows, using manjaro its about 110 seconds.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Running:
wine-4.0-rc5 (Staging)
gecko
mono
allfonts

This allows you to install hearthstone and origin client. More games coming online now to linux.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
One thing that we need to remember is that a certain Gabe Newell(Valve Inc) made it possible to run games on Windows, when at the time even Microsoft were not interested in making this happen or thought it was possible for Games to be run on Windows, now bear in mind this was in 1985.

35 years later, and again, Gabe and his team started campaigning for Linux to become a gaming platform, hence why we have SteamOS, WINE and I am not sure what else, however the adaption of Linux as a gaming platform has actually progressed WAY faster and more efficiently thanit ever did with Windows.

@SauRoNZA will most likely know a bit more regarding Linux use and Consoles, but on the Desktop side of things I do think that it was adapted quickly when compared to Windows, it is just matter of dev houses porting games to run natively in Linux without the need for emulation. I do believe this is already happening with certain games, like Witcher(I think this game will run natively without WINE?)

A cool idea for a gaming friendly version of Linux, would be a simplified CLI, and maybe the ability to monitor your PC use stats real time within terminal...though i find stuff like that anoracky and cool.

Though correct me if I am wrong, way back then if you wanted to play video games you needed a console...unless you wanted to play Pong.