• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Linux distro for gaming

ninj.ga

Karmic Sangoma
Interesting. I'll give Manjaro a spin.
If you game, make sure to choose the steam-manjaro package which has been compiled for improved performance on manjaro, it will be in your "add./remove" programs... along with everything else.

eXisor

Yes, most people are happy with whatever Linux/BSD/UNIX-like operating system their PlayStation, Nintendo, iPad, or Android phone comes with.
OMG. I had no idea. I just googled and... My apologies. Gaming is huge on BSD Unix and Linux derivatives. I guess I should have updated my circa 2000 AD knowledge before posting, but in truth, the analogy was too funny once I thought of it, so I may not have been able to resist even if I'd known.
But thanks for insight.

netstrider

Mint works fairly well for most things.

I had some problems running Icewind Dale 2 (very old game) on Windows a while back so got it working on Mint through WINE / Playonlinux.

The Steam games are fine for me as I'm not a big gamer, Civilization V will keep me busy enough until I don't feel like gaming for months again.

If you like playing games daily and different games at that then perhaps Windows is a better option for you.

The_Imp_ZA

I am also a Linux guy, but for my gaming machine i use windows.
however in the next few weeks i am planning on giving steamOS a try.
SteamOS is awful, don't bother with it IMO.

--

I've been using ElementaryOS, it's an Ubuntu derivative, It's super clean and minimalist, just the way I like it. I also like Fedora, although don't have much experience. Waiting for Black Friday to build a Ryzen VFIO setup, I've been wanting to do one for a while. Absolutely need to use windoze for something? Just load up the VM, and close it when you're done.

I'm disappointed that AMD backpedaled on their VEGA supporting SR-IOV stance. A consumer card that can be used on a host and guest OS at the same time would really help push VFIO into the mainstream. Linux has pearmented everything except the desktop because it's an objectively better OS for everything except trational PC gaming and photo / video editing, having the best of both worlds... that's the dream.