Linux distro for gaming

Stillie

Expert Member
I am also a Linux guy, but for my gaming machine i use windows.
however in the next few weeks i am planning on giving steamOS a try.
let me know how it goes please. Im interested in it as well.... but right now i am happy with Mint

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Do not see myself as an X os guy, rather use what fits the job:
Game on Windows 10 work on Linux is my motto

You do not load life stock in a car or put kids on the back of a muddy pick-up, why do you wanna do this when it comes to computing.

If you only have one option fine, or want to learn the other also fine else use what fits the job.

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
Game on Windows 10 work on Linux is my motto

You do not load life stock in a car or put kids on the back of a muddy pick-up, why do you wanna do this when it comes to computing.
Are you suggesting there is a technical reason for Windows to be better at gaming?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Linux doesn't support (as far as I know) Directx. Practically nullifies proper gaming.
The new Steam Play uses Vulkan.

Compatibility with Direct3D graphics is provided by vkd3d, an implementation of Direct3D 12 that uses Vulkan for high performance, and DXVK, a Vulkan implementation of Direct3D 11.

ODTech

I've been playing around with Steam Proton. Any windows game i started worked perfectly with the exception of Denuvo DRM games like Dishonored 2 and then The Surge which has graphical issues.

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
I've been playing around with Steam Proton. Any windows game i started worked perfectly with the exception of Denuvo DRM games like Dishonored 2 and then The Surge which has graphical issues.
You Can Play Over 2,600 Windows Games on Linux Via Steam Play
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/play-windows-games-linux-steam-play,37990.html
At the end of August, Valve announced a new version of Steam Play for Linux that included Proton, a WINE fork that made many Windows games, including more recent ones ,such as Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3 and Dishonored, playable on Linux. Just two months later, ProtonDB says there are over 2,600 Windows games that users can play on Linux, and the number is rapidly growing daily.
Not all games may run perfectly on Linux, but that’s also often the case with Windows 10, which can not play older games as well as previous versions of Windows did, even under Compatibility Mode.
Search for games in the Proton Database:
https://www.protondb.com/

ninj.ga

Karmic Sangoma
I'm a big fan of linux and been using it since 2004.

I however do not recommend it for gaming, just too much hassle. I only have win10 installed on my gaming rig.

If
Its really not hard, support is growing quickly. I used to run Ubuntu, but snapd hurts the sata drive in my laptop, so running Manjaro. There is a steam client in the "add remove" programs for Manjaro.

Also, Proton API is here.

ponder

Honorary Master
Its really not hard, support is growing quickly. I used to run Ubuntu, but snapd hurts the sata drive in my laptop, so running Manjaro. There is a steam client in the "add remove" programs for Manjaro.

Also, Proton API is here.

See post #28 ;)

ninj.ga

Karmic Sangoma
I just tried Skyrim on my pos laptop and was suprised it ran. Im well impressed with proton

ninj.ga

Karmic Sangoma
So am I. I bought INSIDE on sale last week, it played through on Ubuntu 18.10 flawlessly.
If your hardware is not up to spec like mine, try out Manjaro as well. I have not had to drop to command line to install anything yet, which is surprising considering its Arch.

Thought I would give it a try when I noticed this. 2018-11-06_12-01.png