Massive ADSL cable theft in Mitchells Plain

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Massive ADSL cable theft in Mitchells Plain

Openserve has reported a major incident of copper cable theft in Eisleben Road, Portland in the Mitchells Plain area.

The company said that on 12 December 2019, multiple cables of varying lengths were stolen in the area.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Drastic measures are needed when people are holding onto their ADSL lines.
I'm holding onto my ADSL line. There is no Fibre in my area. There is LTE coverage but once the power goes off there isn't anymore. No rain coverage in the area. No Line of site to a single WISP. Please tell em why I shouldn't hold on to my DSL line. To be moved to Telkom Fixed LTE which some of my neighbors opted for but complain about because its too slow?

thechamp

Honorary Master
I'm holding onto my ADSL line. There is no Fibre in my area. There is LTE coverage but once the power goes off there isn't anymore. No rain coverage in the area. No Line of site to a single WISP. Please tell em why I shouldn't hold on to my DSL line. To be moved to Telkom Fixed LTE which some of my neighbors opted for but complain about because its too slow?
I held onto mine until it was also stolen, yours will be stolen as well, but do stay strong in the meanwhile.

Swa

Honorary Master
Good luck. With 20/20 prepaid fibre for R400 why would people even want to use Telkom still?

McGuywer

Executive Member
"Migrating" to LTE isn't an option. Where can I get a 500GB affordable LTE connection?

joker08

Expert Member
do u stay in Mitchell's plain ?

Genisys

Honorary Master
I held onto mine until it was also stolen, yours will be stolen as well, but do stay strong in the meanwhile.
So far Telkom has been helpful with fixing line faults for damaged lines, so highly doubt the idea of all areas will move to LTE if lines get stolen/damaged is for every area.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So far Telkom has been helpful with fixing line faults for damaged lines, so highly doubt the idea of all areas will move to LTE if lines get stolen/damaged is for every area.
Losing 50 000 customers a month for wanting to force this LTE down their throats was a shock to them, unfortunately they only reconsidered after they have recovered my cable.

DiabloDane

Expert Member
Steal my people steal.... if you dont do it some official is gonna do it anyway!

Genisys

Honorary Master
it does in this case, the thread title is "Massive ADSL cable theft in Mitchells Plain "
Relevance? I quoted another post that wasn't Mitchells Plain related. Either way, cable theft is not just an issue in Mitchells Plain, its an issue all over the country. Its not just Mitchells Plain that is getting moved to LTE/Fibre, every subscriber in the country is. The topic name means nothing in this context.

joker08

Expert Member
Relevance? I quoted another post that wasn't Mitchells Plain related. Either way, cable theft is not just an issue in Mitchells Plain, its an issue all over the country. Its not just Mitchells Plain that is getting moved to LTE/Fibre, every subscriber in the country is. The topic name means nothing in this context.
"Drastic measures are needed when people are holding onto their ADSL lines." even though there is fiber in the area.
do u see the relevance now?

Genisys

Honorary Master
"Drastic measures are needed when people are holding onto their ADSL lines." even though there is fiber in the area.
do u see the relevance now?
Yes, my bad, I see now that that post is definitely referring to Mitchells Plain and it can't possibly be used to describe every area with Fibre in the country. /s (That means its sarcastic just in case you are wondering).

envo

Expert Member
No voice service? NO PROBLEM! Call us on 0800....

Really? IF cellphones had FREE 0800 access TO phone WHEN voice services are interrupted, sure... but in 2019, we still have to phone them when our phone isn't working? Jesus