Moving from Vumatel to Openserver - B number missing

gerritcar

Good day All,

I am facing an issue I'm sure many people have faced before. Let me set the scene.

We are moving to our new home at the end of May. We currently have Afrihost fibre running on Vumatel infrastructure. Our new home only has Openserve available, which means that we will need the B number in order for Afrihost to do the move.

However, the B number is not on any stickers on the ATB or ONT in the home, plus the previous homeowner has emigrated to NZ and we can't get hold of her. It will probably be on her Telkom Internet statement, but again, we cannot get hold of her, so that option seems to not be available to us.

I have tried to make contact with Telkom in order to get the B number from them (Telkom was her ISP), but that was a dead end. They said that the previous homeowner will have to make contact with them directly due to security concerns. This makes me believe that the B number is linked to you personally, and not to a specific address. Is this true?

My question is - what other options do we have? I have heard rumours that you can simply have another Openserve installation done (which is free through Afrihost). Would this be allowed? So I simply state on the relocation wizard that there is no installation currently, which will generate a new B number under my ID?

Thanks guys - this is stressing me out as I will need internet access at the new home from day 1 as I work from home.

Regards

Mzezman

Expert Member
Good day All,

I am facing an issue I'm sure many people have faced before. Let me set the scene.

We are moving to our new home at the end of May. We currently have Afrihost fibre running on Vumatel infrastructure. Our new home only has Openserve available, which means that we will need the B number in order for Afrihost to do the move.

However, the B number is not on any stickers on the ATB or ONT in the home, plus the previous homeowner has emigrated to NZ and we can't get hold of her. It will probably be on her Telkom Internet statement, but again, we cannot get hold of her, so that option seems to not be available to us.

I have tried to make contact with Telkom in order to get the B number from them (Telkom was her ISP), but that was a dead end. They said that the previous homeowner will have to make contact with them directly due to security concerns. This makes me believe that the B number is linked to you personally, and not to a specific address. Is this true?

My question is - what other options do we have? I have heard rumours that you can simply have another Openserve installation done (which is free through Afrihost). Would this be allowed? So I simply state on the relocation wizard that there is no installation currently, which will generate a new B number under my ID?

Thanks guys - this is stressing me out as I will need internet access at the new home from day 1 as I work from home.

Regards
If you are staying with Afrihost then ask @AfriNatic to assist - you should be able to get a 2nd line installed on port 2 or 3 of the ONT if you cant get hold of the current B number. The old B numbers sit in a pool for a period of time and i believe you can search for them based on the ONT mac? i could be wrong though

gerritcar

If you are staying with Afrihost then ask @AfriNatic to assist - you should be able to get a 2nd line installed on port 2 or 3 of the ONT if you cant get hold of the current B number. The old B numbers sit in a pool for a period of time and i believe you can search for them based on the ONT mac? i could be wrong though
Thanks for the response @Mzezman! Yes, I am staying with Afrihost, so @AfriNatic if you could guide me as to the process I need to follow, that would be great!

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Good day All,

Regards

Hi,

We do not recommend that you contact openserve directly to obtain the B number.

If you are unable to locate the B number please signup for a new installation. We will place a provide order that will generate a new B number for you.

gerritcar

Hi,

We do not recommend that you contact openserve directly to obtain the B number.

If you are unable to locate the B number please signup for a new installation. We will place a provide order that will generate a new B number for you.
Thanks a ton @AfriNatic ! I have actually attempted to obtain the B number from Openserve, but they just told me that I need to get it from the ISP (Telkom), but as I stated above, that was a dead end anyway.

I will request a new installation through the relocation wizard.

Thanks everyone!

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Thanks a ton @AfriNatic ! I have actually attempted to obtain the B number from Openserve, but they just told me that I need to get it from the ISP (Telkom), but as I stated above, that was a dead end anyway.

I will request a new installation through the relocation wizard.

Thanks everyone!

Perfect. the system will schedule a new order for you a couple of days prior. You might need an appointment for the new B number to get activated but will be contacted by Openserve to confirm.