MTN and WiFi Calling

whatwhat

Executive Member
I hear what you are saying ... that said, when asked the techie assured me that nothing special was required :unsure:
Nothing special is required once MTN has enabled it. So far its still on internal beta.

isie

Honorary Master
Spoke to an MTN techie recently re no signal in my area. He suggested that I try voice over wifi - he also has signal issues at home, and that was how he resolved them.

According to him voice over wifi is available on MTN - though possibly unofficially - one simply has to enable it on one's phone.

NB: Can someone test & report back ? My phone is very old and doesn't support voice over wifi, so I cam't verify his statements.
MTN need to activate it on their side before we can activate it on ours, my phone is VO WiFi capable but the option is not available on MTN

Sayf777

Expert Member
Any MTN reps have an estimated timeline?

Dont know how much longer Cell C will be in business And all the networks now have wifi calling except for MTN..

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
I bought a dual sim phone which I use MTN for data and Cell C for voice.
Cell C voice only costs me R199 for 900 minutes. Ive been very impressed with the Cell C call quality from my home wifi. Its near perfect all the time.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I doubt VoWIFI will work on MTN if you don't have MTN's firmware on your phone. When they launched VoLTE I couldn't, and still can't, get it working on my Huawei P10 Pro and I have non-branded network-agnostic version of the phone which I bought on Takealot. When I called them they told me I had to have a phone with the MTN firmware on it, so don't hold your breathe for VoWIFI working either.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
I doubt VoWIFI will work on MTN if you don't have MTN's firmware on your phone. When they launched VoLTE I couldn't, and still can't, get it working on my Huawei P10 Pro and I have non-branded network-agnostic version of the phone which I bought on Takealot. When I called them they told me I had to have a phone with the MTN firmware on it, so don't hold your breathe for VoWIFI working either.
Volte works on my dual SIM non network specific Samsung note 10

tRoN

Executive Member
Just because VoLTE works doesn’t mean VoWifi is active ...correct ?

rrh

Expert Member
Any news before I port my non-existent MTN "service" to another service provider ?

Sayf777

Expert Member
Lol, I don't think they interested in it, all other networks have had it for abit.

rrh

Expert Member
Lol, I don't think they interested in it, all other networks have had it for abit.
Given that MTN have had Wi-Fi Calling "in testing" for a long time now I can only assume that their system is struggling with the implementation.

Or, as you say, they aren't really interested in providing the service.

isie

Honorary Master
Given that MTN have had Wi-Fi Calling "in testing" for a long time now I can only assume that their system is struggling with the implementation.

Or, as you say, they aren't really interested in providing the service.
cant be hard to implement if other SP's can, only reason not to implement it , is they making tons of money from roaming charges

rrh

Expert Member
cant be hard to implement if other SP's can, only reason not to implement it , is they making tons of money from roaming charges
Whatever ...

I have had a reply from MTN, saying that (a) they [still] don't support Wi-Fi Calling and (b) they don't know when they will.

Ciao MTN

Sayf777

Expert Member
Whatever ...

I have had a reply from MTN, saying that (a) they [still] don't support Wi-Fi Calling and (b) they don't know when they will.

Ciao MTN
Eish, been waiting to switch to a single sim setup, will probably port when my contract is up.