MTN and WiFi Calling

neoprema

Expert Member
Honestly, after using this on Cell-C because I travel a lot I had some major issues with it;

1. Even on high-speed Wifi networks the voice quality on the calls was terrible at best. It was like an old asynchronous call where only one party could speak and 2sec later the other party heard it and could reply.

2. Most Hotel and/or Free Wi-Fi networks disconnect you after a while even if you have traffic. If you don't know this your phone simply goes off line and there goes your incoming calls until you login to the hotspot again.

3. Some firewalls either block the ports or Cell-C couldnt keep their service up because for a few of my trips to some hotels my Wi-Fi calling just did not work at all, there was no connection.

I'm on MTN now because their normal roaming rates are pretty good. will be interesting to see what they do with the wifi calling.

Last edited:

whatwhat

Executive Member
Honestly, after using this on Cell-C because I travel a lot I had some major issues with it;

1. Even on high-speed Wifi networks the voice quality on the calls was terrible at best. It was like an old asynchronous call where only one party could speak and 2sec later the other party heard it and could reply.

2. Most Hotel and/or Free Wi-Fi networks disconnect you after a while even if you have traffic. If you don't know this your phone simply goes off line and there goes your incoming calls until you login to the hotspot again.

3. Some firewalls either block the ports or Cell-C couldnt keep their service up because for a few of my trips to some hotels my Wi-Fi calling just did not work at all, there was no connection.

I'm on MTN now because their normal roaming rates are pretty good. will be interesting to see what they do with the wifi calling.
That is probably only Cell C.
I've used Wifi calling on many different providers over the planet and it usually works without issue.

As for your point 2, seems you have a broken phone. When the wifi is down or disconnected it falls back to the cellular network unless you don't have roaming.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Ported to Cell C as I just couldn't be arsed to wait for MTN anymore.
As I'll be spending a lot of time in Asia over the next few months and need my SA number without rage inducing roaming costs.

That said, with my luck having just ported it would mean MTN is probably going to announce their wifi calling this week.

isie

Honorary Master
Ported to Cell C as I just couldn't be arsed to wait for MTN anymore.
As I'll be spending a lot of time in Asia over the next few months and need my SA number without rage inducing roaming costs.

That said, with my luck having just ported it would mean MTN is probably going to announce their wifi calling this week.
i wouldnt hold my breath

Just check you handset is on the list of cell c compatible , friend took out a contract with cell C with a handset that is wifi calling capable , but not supported by cell C :wtf:

Fcon_Vpro

i wouldnt hold my breath

Just check you handset is on the list of cell c compatible , friend took out a contract with cell C with a handset that is wifi calling capable , but not supported by cell C :wtf:
That list is very old and missing a lot of their supported phones.
Check the latest franchise booklet as newer phones such as Samsung S9, etc support it as well.
Usually the franchise booklet will have a wifi calling icon on the phone throughout the franchise book.

isie

Honorary Master
That list is very old and missing a lot of their supported phones.
Check the latest franchise booklet as newer phones such as Samsung S9, etc support it as well.
Usually the franchise booklet will have a wifi calling icon on the phone throughout the franchise book.
yep you would think they are capable of keeping an online list updated.
Anyway, that's what happened to my friend she took the phone and at the time had the little wifi calling logo on the booklet but after trying it didn't work called them and they said they do not support on their list. she had been arguing with them for weeks.

whatwhat

Executive Member

Have to agree with you on point 1. Even on my 1GB fibre connection at my apartment the voice quality on Cell C is terrible.
In comparison the wifi calling on TMobile and the Asian operators I use are HD call quality.

Tander

Executive Member
Didn't know this existed for other networks and see MTN still have not activated this on their network. Since I am on a month-to-month contract with them, it seems I will be cancelling and porting to Cell-C prepaid.

tRoN

Executive Member
Any update if MTN offering this.

If not does Vodafone offer it as I don’t mind porting.

isie

Honorary Master
Any update if MTN offering this.

If not does Vodafone offer it as I don’t mind porting.
still no info from them - honestly I don't understand why they not doing this - so may areas where signal is crap but people have access to wifi

Voldemort

Death eater
still no info from them - honestly I don't understand why they not doing this - so may areas where signal is crap but people have access to wifi
It's not really of immense benefit to the network operators. Whilst i agree that WiFi offload can decrease congestion in the densely populated areas, one just sees a decline in revenue ie voice and data as the call is handed over to an MNO that could end up offering the wifi for free.
Cell C implemented this first, seeing as they have so many dead spots that they need to cover and haven't invested even close to what MTN has in terms of network infrastructure..
VoLTE just came into effect recently, that was their flagship project that they were working on before this other issue, I'm pretty sure we will see wifi calling this year though.

whatwhat

Executive Member
It's not really of immense benefit to the network operators. Whilst i agree that WiFi offload can decrease congestion in the densely populated areas, one just sees a decline in revenue ie voice and data as the call is handed over to an MNO that could end up offering the wifi for free.
Cell C implemented this first, seeing as they have so many dead spots that they need to cover and haven't invested even close to what MTN has in terms of network infrastructure..
VoLTE just came into effect recently, that was their flagship project that they were working on before this other issue, I'm pretty sure we will see wifi calling this year though.
Well I'm using Cell C wifi calling as I'm living overseas now to get access to my SA number without having to care about roaming charges or the like.

So yes, it's not a benefit to the operator only to the customer.

Can't wait for Cell C or Vodacom to support eSim so I can port my number to that too. My Hong Kong, Taiwan and USA contracts are already converted so SA is really my only physical simcard left.

isie

Honorary Master
I won't hold you to that, but isn't wifi calling easier to deal with then having to deal with tin foil hat no tower complainers?
and on their VOLTE haven't anything new either , their website still only shows 4 phones compatible :cautious: doesn't really help anyone who doesn't have any of those

marioat1

Expert Member
I won't hold you to that, but isn't wifi calling easier to deal with then having to deal with tin foil hat no tower complainers?
and on their VOLTE haven't anything new either , their website still only shows 4 phones compatible :cautious: doesn't really help anyone who doesn't have any of those
That list is very out of date, check the latest catalogue to see the options. My Mate20pro has Volte enabled.

Voldemort

Death eater
Anything is easier than having to deal with the tin foilers o_O

Fcon_Vpro

Im surprised iPhone wasnt targeted early for VoLTE.
I have been waiting for WifiCalling for a long time from MTN. Hope it does come this year.

under_sky

Expert Member
With Vodacom it seems to work like a charm just wish it would be on mtn one day girlfriend has such bad signal at her place. They probably too focused on some rubbish than implementing this