MTN and WiFi Calling

Suspect99

Executive Member
This might be completely wrong, but my dad with his P20 Lite yesterdau told me he can only make calls when he was in the office or at home. I saw he managed to put his phone into airplane mode and was connected to WIFI only when making calls.
I'll test it later, but this could mean wifi calling is working?

isie

Honorary Master
This might be completely wrong, but my dad with his P20 Lite yesterdau told me he can only make calls when he was in the office or at home. I saw he managed to put his phone into airplane mode and was connected to WIFI only when making calls.
I'll test it later, but this could mean wifi calling is working?
Well yes if it managed to dial unless some glitch and it wasn't in airplane mode

Seems wifi calling is a thing now on MTN, I saw the setting on my phone, P20 Pro, and turned it on. Called 808 next to ask and got confirmation that it is available.(I have more recently been advised that Wi-Fi calling is not offered by MTN yet, see my comment below.)

Last edited:
So did they activate it and is it working?
I called again just to clarify, I called 1555, and after talking to someone in the technical department I was informed that MTN does not currently offer Wi-Fi calling. The person I spoke to today on the 808 number, who said she was familiar with Wi-Fi calling, referred me to the technical department on the 1555 number. Considering the conflicting information Wi-Fi calling may not actually be available at the moment.

Fcon_Vpro

I called again just to clarify, I called 1555, and after talking to someone in the technical department I was informed that MTN does not currently offer Wi-Fi calling. The person I spoke to today on the 808 number, who said she was familiar with Wi-Fi calling, referred me to the technical department on the 1555 number. Considering the conflicting information Wi-Fi calling may not actually be available at the moment.
Thanks for the confirmation.

mbuyam

Its mid 2019 already and Wifi calling is still not available on MTN.....such a pity! I wonder why so much delay.

They have VoLTE though n it works perfectly.

travcaine

I have basically given up, I really thought with the launch of VoLTE on iPhone Wifi Calling would follow but nope...

isie

Honorary Master
Its mid 2019 already and Wifi calling is still not available on MTN.....such a pity! I wonder why so much delay.

They have VoLTE though n it works perfectly.
I have basically given up, I really thought with the launch of VoLTE on iPhone Wifi Calling would follow but nope...
Doesn't even help those of us who have VOLTE capable phones but MTN hasn't activated support for it :(

https://www.mtn.co.za/SiteCollectionImages/VoLTE Devices List.pdf

SyBerianWulff

So VoLTE is a thing on MTN, but does that mean you use up both talk time AND data? cause i just got a call from MTN and the guy was strong arming me into buying 40 Gig data plan because you need to get it early before data prices go up... to R270.00 a gig... yes i kinda went, wtf, " oh it's cause some servery says no one uses talk time and sms's so they gonna scrap that and all you get is data...

Can anyone corroborate this? seriously, as if we not being Gouged as it is in SA.

Fcon_Vpro

So VoLTE is a thing on MTN, but does that mean you use up both talk time AND data? cause i just got a call from MTN and the guy was strong arming me into buying 40 Gig data plan because you need to get it early before data prices go up... to R270.00 a gig... yes i kinda went, wtf, " oh it's cause some servery says no one uses talk time and sms's so they gonna scrap that and all you get is data...

Can anyone corroborate this? seriously, as if we not being Gouged as it is in SA.
You just use minutes/airtime, no data.

I doubt they will do the whole data thing yet. The future will go that way to data first and everything else afterwards(Telkom has already made the leap), but earlier this year MTN jacked up the rates for all data contracts in terms of cost per minute. It went from R1 per minute to R2 per minute, and they removed the ability to buy voice bundles. They making more money with their existing contracts and only once they lose revenue will they start transitioning away.
Also Vodacom has an extremely strong network that if they went to R270/gig, they would lose a lot of customers.

isie

Honorary Master

sounds like a BS story

VOLTE uses airtime / minutes not data