MTN and WiFi Calling

travcaine

Hi,

Does anyone know or maybe a MTN representative can confirm if MTN will ever roll out Wi-Fi calling? Is there even plans for this in the pipeline?

cobusv

Hi,

Does anyone know or maybe a MTN representative can confirm if MTN will ever roll out Wi-Fi calling? Is there even plans for this in the pipeline?
Would be quite curious to know this myself

travcaine

Whatsapp calling, same thing.
Yes or Facetime Audio, but I am asking because I travel a lot to the middle east where this type of calling is blocked so it would be nice if i could use Wi-Fi calling to call back home as I cannot apply for a sim card there.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I dont understand?
a feature that allows people to not be sharked out of their money by MTN?
wifi calling on mtn is like asking if mtn will ever reduce the out of bundle rate, or 0 rate whatsapp.

that is progressive thinking, mtn is not capable of doing that. all mtn can do is hemorrhage customers, and get exorbitant fines

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Yes or Facetime Audio, but I am asking because I travel a lot to the middle east where this type of calling is blocked so it would be nice if i could use Wi-Fi calling to call back home as I cannot apply for a sim card there.
Suppose you could get a CellC sim.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
Whatsapp calling, same thing.
Not quite

I dont understand?
a feature that allows people to not be sharked out of their money by MTN?
wifi calling on mtn is like asking if mtn will ever reduce the out of bundle rate, or 0 rate whatsapp.
The way I understand WiFi Calling, it still uses your normal airtime (or inclusive minutes if you're on contract), but it allows you to do so where there is no cellular coverage.

travcaine

Not quite

The way I understand WiFi Calling, it still uses your normal airtime (or inclusive minutes if you're on contract), but it allows you to do so where there is no cellular coverage.
Yes correct, but using Wi-Fi calling overseas does not use roaming rates but rather normal calling rates.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
Not quite

yeah, but that will still mean mtn needs to look into a new technology. when have they ever been first to do anything in SA? how about second? because I see them in third place in front of only CellC in SA with EVERYTHING. and cellC is only last because the network quality is just too terrible.

I mean look at what happened when MTN bought AFrihost. no chance will mtn catch up and use a modern technology ever.

phly

Expert Member
This may not be the ideal solution but I personally find Facebook calling way above and better than even whatsapp calling or even facetime audio. For some reason it just works and is so crisp and clear its like making a normal call. So yea just thought i should throw that in as a consideration

Voldemort

Death eater
Hi Travcaine,

There must be some reason for this, I'll do a follow up on this matter!

daiyaan

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 15.48.44.jpg

Saw this image on the MTN.co.za website. Link is dead but may indicate possible launch