MTN sharing of bolt on data bundle (Dual SIM / Data SIM)

hydsea002

Hi guys - searched like crazy and keep getting different answers depending on who i talk to at MTN. I have an iPhone and iPad with 3G and want to share my bolt on data bundle as I have done so in other countries and it worked like a dream rather than having 2 separate contracts.

I have an MTN Anytime 350 and a 500 MB bolt on - can I get a data sim linked to the same number and share that bundle ie using different devices? I am told I can do it with Vodacom but can't understand why MTN would not offer the same service.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
:D

superskully

Expert Member
Hi guys - searched like crazy and keep getting different answers depending on who i talk to at MTN. I have an iPhone and iPad with 3G and want to share my bolt on data bundle as I have done so in other countries and it worked like a dream rather than having 2 separate contracts.

I have an MTN Anytime 350 and a 500 MB bolt on - can I get a data sim linked to the same number and share that bundle ie using different devices? I am told I can do it with Vodacom but can't understand why MTN would not offer the same service.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
:D
Yes. Just ask them for a micro data sim linked to yr primary sim card. U pay r140 for the sim once off.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Ask for Dual Call and it is available on all contracts.
Ah OK, take note there are some subtle differences between Dual Call and Data SIM

Dual Call said:
Enjoy the benefit of Dual Call and have two connected SIM cards that you can use in your cellphone AND car phone OR modem.

The SIM cards will share the same cellphone number, and voicemail. Customers will have a benefit of having two SIM cards linked to one account.
Data SIM said:
Vodacom Contract customers can have up to four additional Data SIM cards, linked to their primary Contract, which can be used simultaneously on various devices.

Your additional Multi Data SIMs will not be dependent on each other and they can all be used at the same time, regardless of the cellphone or device that is being used at the time.

Dual Call is two SIMs that share the same number, the primary SIM rings before the secondary SIM, originally intended for car phones (IIRC, there was a stage when MTN wouldn't give you one unless you told them you had a car phone).

Data SIMs are independent SIMs with their own numbers that cannot make or receive voice calls, but will share the primary number's SMS and data bundles.

FireTelkom

You are correct, Dual Call are not the same as Vodacom Data Sim but you can get it on all MTN contracts. You can however only get one per contract. The Dual Call have its own number and can make voice calls and both sims can be on at the same time. I use my primary sim in my Iphone and use the secondary in either my data card or my blackberry bold.

hydsea002

Nashua Mobile and Data Bundle

Ok - thats usefull, never knew all that. So do you reckon I could even get this service via Nashua Mobile and are you sure the Dual Call will actually share the data bundle add on vs use my out of bundle data?

Eish - wish this was just an easy phone call with Nashua.

Thanks guys...

hydsea002

Ok so Nashua provided me with the extra sim however I am unable to get the data bundle working. I get full reception however it will not allow me to browse the internet or email. Any suggestions?

hydsea002

Cool thanks - I will try that tomorrow. Running out of options here and it feels like all my support guys at Nashua have given up, lets see...

murray654

MTN Data Sim

Hi,

I use Vodacom and we have a data sim linked to a cell phone account. The databundle is shared between the phone and the modem.

How do I get the same from MTN or is it not possible?

Sales lady at a shop says I have to have a seperate contract. I dont want a contract I want flexibility.

The Edge on Vodacom is down - has been down for a week. GPRS too slow, I have to use MTN but have no data bundles and no second sim. had to take the sim out of someones phone.

I know I can buy a sim on prepaid.

But I would like to retain the sim for futre use whenever there are problems on VC.

Why cant they give me a data sim?

Voldemort

Death eater
There is an option for a dual sim, both sims charges get added to your primary line, il get info for you and revert, alternatively if one of the forumites has further info please feel free to advise. ey they need to train these sales people...

FoRmFacTor

2 sim cards, one account?

Is it possible to have 2 sim cards attached to the same account(same number and billing)?

I have an iPad and Android phone. I want to use the account for both devices. Is that possible?

FireTelkom

Is it possible to have 2 sim cards attached to the same account(same number and billing)?

I have an iPad and Android phone. I want to use the account for both devices. Is that possible?

Read the mails above and you may have the answer!

FoRmFacTor

whoops, sorry:)

So, i should request the dual sim service? Not dual call?

If the bundle runs out, will i be charged at normal data rates on both devices or does it only split data bundles?

Quattro!

MTN does not CLONE SimCards for customers with data contract but Vodacom is doing it

When I got my IPad.....I went to MTN an got myself a MicroSim...Thanks to MTN for bringing down the Price from R100+ down to R1.....I did not want to use the sim as prepaid....I wanted to use data from my existing Data Contract with MTN...I asked the Sales Consultant to Clone the Sim....told me sorry it is not Possible on a Data contract.....I said really!....How Come the Red Company (Vodacom) can do it....Not knowing that I was going to have problems loading data on it.....While I was trying to sort out the issue of the active/inactive SimCard...I asked a Consultant responsible for data...and I was told MTN does not have the technology to clone SimCards. Again really but u do have the technology to add data to an existing voice contract....Even today am still asking myself why am I been Loyal to the Yellow Company when the Red Company is flexible...I won't call it innovative...

It does not make sense for me to buy prepaid data when I have a contract data with MTN.....Currently am relying on the WIFI connection I Created on my laptop using the 3G Modem. I want to share the date amongst the devices....IPad using the MicroSim.....Laptop still using the 3G Modem.

Can someone from MTN help.....

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I don't know about data sims but I don't see why it should make a difference. MTN have a service called dual call 2. Note the 2. This effectively allows a second independant sim but billable to the same contract minutes/data etc. You could use that if they don't have a clone type sim but I'm sure they do have the means.

D3x

Expert Member
Vodacom calls it Dual Sim..... Only costs R9.50 / month. 2 sim cards linked to 1 account.