MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when Mweb generally stops throttling or is it totally dependant on the load of the network? Why I ask is that we trialing the 4mb Uncapped account (i know is now 512) and haven't been able to get past 30KB/s all day. Can anyone shed some light on this.
Hi MDE,

It is dependant on network load. The situation will improve in a day or two as additional capacity is bought online, however this does not mean one is guaranteed line speed all the time. You should achieve best performance in the late evening/early mornings when (priority traffic) load is at its least.

MWB.
 
Will Emule work?
Hi Lord-Anubis,

MWEB does not disallow or block any protocols, however performance will be dependant on network load. Priority protcols (e.g. browsing, email etc.) will always have first preference.

MWB.
 
Hi MDE,

It is dependant on network load. The situation will improve in a day or two as additional capacity is bought online, however this does not mean one is guaranteed line speed all the time. You should achieve best performance in the late evening/early mornings when (priority traffic) load is at its least.

MWB.

@MWEB , are you guys buying additional capacity? This should improve overall performance on the MWEB news server between 10pm and 7am drastically or not? Because as things are, a bit slow...
 
MWEB - Since last night I have seen a marked deterioration in both latency and speed even to local sites. I am on a 4096 account. Any comment?

765649896.png
Hi mystic007,

As mentioned the sporadic high latency will be rectified (permanently) in the next day or two.

MWB.
 
Hi Lord-Anubis,

MWEB does not disallow or block any protocols, however performance will be dependant on network load. Priority protcols (e.g. browsing, email etc.) will always have first preference.

MWB.

@ MWEB: Can you please confirm which incoming ports are blocked? I run a VPN/VNC to my home computer when on the road, and would like to make sure whether I will have any problems before converting to MWeb.
 
@MWEB , are you guys buying additional capacity?
Hi Tjoker,

Current & future capacity upgrades were ordered quite a while ago, the situation is largely about delivery (on time).

One must understand due to the overwhelming demand and the large capacities in question even the local IPC provider has to do careful capacity planning/upgrades in their network to fulfill our requirments.

MWB.
 
Last edited:
@ MWEB: Can you please confirm which incoming ports are blocked? I run a VPN/VNC to my home computer when on the road, and would like to make sure whether I will have any problems before converting to MWeb.
Hi zs6cey,

By default we do not block incoming ports, however there is a facility to do this in your My Account self mgmt portal.

MWB.
 
Could not find the correct answers using the search function so here goes:

Can we pay using EFT? The only option on signup is debit order from my bank.
How does the notice period work. If I signup today and decide to cancel on the 8th of April, will I have to pay for May also or will my account be cancelled end of April?

@MWEB - Any updates?
 
Can we pay using EFT? The only option on signup is debit order from my bank.
Hi Freakboy,

Yes we can accomodate EFT payment in some circumstances, please contact our sales call centre on 08600 32000 to enquire.

How does the notice period work. If I signup today and decide to cancel on the 8th of April, will I have to pay for May also or will my account be cancelled end of April?
The official cancellation term is one calendar month, so you would be liable for May as well, however if cancellations are done within the first seven days of the month we will be flexible. Please contact our Billing & Accounts call centre on 021 596 8480 to discuss.


Edit: Not being selective, some responses require confirmation from other depts.

MWB.
 
more or less how late at night does the flood gates for download open?
 
more or less how late at night does the flood gates for download open?

Every night it is different . For instance, last night ; Full speed started at about 11PM but on some nights, it could start as early as 6PM !
 
more or less how late at night does the flood gates for download open?
Hi absk300,

There is no specific time, as excess capacity becomes avaliable on the network it is released for use by non-priority traffic (e.g. torrents, news, rapidshare etc.)

MWB.
 
Last edited:
In my experience, it's 'anytime' to be honest.

I've monitored my continous downloads and it happens at the most random times - sometimes all day, sometimes at 12 at night, sometimes at 11 at night, sometimes at 8pm, sometimes at 9pm.

Always "on the hour" but times are different with each passing day.

I have been graphing all - so I generally know what I'm talking about.
 
So in other words, when is the best time for 'specialists' to download their GBs of data?
 
In my experience, it's 'anytime' to be honest.

I've monitored my continous downloads and it happens at the most random times - sometimes all day, sometimes at 12 at night, sometimes at 11 at night, sometimes at 8pm, sometimes at 9pm.

Always "on the hour" but times are different with each passing day.

I have been graphing all - so I generally know what I'm talking about.

can you post the graphs? will be nice to see.

Thanks
 
Update on Sunday's fibre failure

Hi All,

The redundant fibre (to the one which failed on Sunday) has been bought into operation and has been thouroughly tested. As this fibre has a completely diverse path to the primary, a repeat of Sunday's international inaccessibility failure is highly unlikely.

Again apologies for the extended period of the outage.

MWB.
 
RE: the news server, previously "office hours" of 08:00-18:00 were in use, has this been discontinued then to better suit shaping?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X