MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grouch, TonyA, Auntpol, pjoub06,

We can find no reason in our network why your (assume 4096) services would perform worse than any of the others who are performing satisfactorily. The assumption would be there is something amiss with your local setup or there is an issue in your exchange/regional area. I suggest ...

1. Make sure you have no proxy servers configured in any of the browsers you use

2. I know it sounds corny, but try turing off your router for ~3 min and then power it on again. This will have the effect of re-establishing your session on all levels (auth, IP alloc, bw mgmt etc.)

3. Next please contact our technical call centre on 0860 11 22 52 so that they may assist you with some basic troubleshoot e.g. check line performance etc.

4. If the problem still persists, we would need to enquire with Telkom if there are any issues on the ADSL access network in your exchange area/region

MWB.
 
MWEB - I want to sign up this evening, but will I only be billed tomorrow for April ? If not - then I will need to wait for tomorrow...

Thanks
 
Pro rated and for next month. At the moment Axxess is running at 14kbps and MWEB is at 35kbps.
 
fyi -I signed up today but since I only want it activated from tomorrow (as don't want to pay R200 odd for a few hours) they said they will only create my account tomorrow and phone me back with the details.

From my understanding if the account is created on the system today you will changed 50% pro-rata.
 
Best Effort

its 7:35 and im downloading at 150KB/s-206KB/s on a 4 meg line this is not fair. Im paying R500+- for UNCAPPED 4mb/s = "download as much as u want." im in joburg and i would like to know can I plz get my usual 400KB/s back ???

Surely this is not necessarily exclusively MWeb's "fault"? There could be any number of reasons why the download is not at "max" speed. The Telkom "last mile" of cable, the Telkom exchange, congestion anywhere between you and the source, shaping your side, shaping at the source, server load at the source, dirty ADSL cable, weather?

My understanding is that ADSL is a "best effort" service -- if you do somehow always manage to get 400kb/s 24/7/365, consider yourself exceptionally lucky. Considering all the technicalities involved from source to target, I'm often amazed that it works at all ;)
 
killa, seeing as you do not know this; i have posted in a number of threads

killa - i didn't realise you didn't know mweb has their own network. i saw you mention IS with respect to them a couple of times but thought you meant that general internet infrastructure was affected.

mweb is tier-1. hence why i have thrown my money at them. they knew what they were doing. Or at least they have a better idea of what they are doing as opposed to the ISPs that have reacted to the news that has rocked the internet world in SA.
 
Hi Grouch, TonyA, Auntpol, pjoub06,

We can find no reason in our network why your (assume 4096) services would perform worse than any of the others who are performing satisfactorily. The assumption would be there is something amiss with your local setup or there is an issue in your exchange/regional area. I suggest ...

1. Make sure you have no proxy servers configured in any of the browsers you use

2. I know it sounds corny, but try turing off your router for ~3 min and then power it on again. This will have the effect of re-establishing your session on all levels (auth, IP alloc, bw mgmt etc.)

3. Next please contact our technical call centre on 0860 11 22 52 so that they may assist you with some basic troubleshoot e.g. check line performance etc.

4. If the problem still persists, we would need to enquire with Telkom if there are any issues on the ADSL access network in your exchange area/region

MWB.

Here is a local speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/result/767783762.png
Here is an international speed test after I powered down the roouter for about 10 mins: http://www.speedtest.net/result/767791512.png
 
These past few days my torrents havnt run at full speed, but still fast compared to any other uncapped isp i used, i still feel mweb is currently the best uncapped solution in this price range. Im just so happy i can have uncapped for this price, months ago this would of cost thousands
 
Decent pings last night. I like. :) My ping to SGS averaged about 65 while playing BC2 with a couple op spikes to 110ish during the evening. Still not there yet, but good progress.
 
fyi -I signed up today but since I only want it activated from tomorrow (as don't want to pay R200 odd for a few hours) they said they will only create my account tomorrow and phone me back with the details.

True to their word - Got a call first thing this morning with my account details. Am impressed so far.
 
Line Speed

Hi,

Checked my graph on utorrent this morning, hit 205kb/s around midnight, then it dropped DRAMATICALLY to 25kb/s from 3am - and has stayed that way since.

Open the pipes...my ass.
 
So I signed up this morning and it seems theres a big delay in generating new accounts in their system. It's been 1 hour and still not able to use the account.
 
Hi,

Checked my graph on utorrent this morning, hit 205kb/s around midnight, then it dropped DRAMATICALLY to 25kb/s from 3am - and has stayed that way since.

Open the pipes...my ass.

Dude just because you are downloading a torrent does not mean you will always get max speed. Torrents are dependent on others giving you the speed and it may have happened that not many seeders were giving you the requires bandwidth.

I think judging speeds by torrents is not always the best idea's. Load up some nzb's rather with something like astraweb to get spot on results.
 
Open the pipes...my ass.

My account was full speed from around 12:50 last night. I'm very happy :D , Even now at 9:35 its running at over 50% speed , Which is really decent compared to other days.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X