MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
speeds were terrible again last night as well :(

getting tired of this cr@p, whats the best alternative afrihost ?
 
speeds were terrible again last night as well :(

getting tired of this cr@p, whats the best alternative afrihost ?

I would also like to know this, I havent heard of anything really better than Mweb tho... plus I used 300+GB last month so I think Afrihost dont like that?
 
Everyone here is quick to point others to use mweb. They are even slower that afrihost. I thought 40KBps was slow on a 4MB line with afrihost, but damn, with mweb I'm only getting 30KBps, what load of cr@p, I pay for 4MB I should receive 4MB. Will have to go back to capped services as there are no such thing as cheap uncapped 4MB is SA.
This is not torrents, normal http downloading...
With my cybersmart cap account I get around 420KBps
Pings are sky high on mweb, afrihost a little better, cybersmart the best currently
 
Everyone here is quick to point others to use mweb. They are even slower that afrihost. I thought 40KBps was slow on a 4MB line with afrihost, but damn, with mweb I'm only getting 30KBps, what load of cr@p, I pay for 4MB I should receive 4MB. Will have to go back to capped services as there are no such thing as cheap uncapped 4MB is SA.
This is not torrents, normal http downloading...
With my cybersmart cap account I get around 420KBps
Pings are sky high on mweb, afrihost a little better, cybersmart the best currently
What makes cybersmart better? Are they ok iwth 400GB+ usage pm? Whats their shaping speed on p2p/news servers?
 
Cybersmart dont offer uncapped.

They offer some interesting packages where you can do 100gig+ a month at decent pricing, but you HAVE to move your line over to them, thats their major downfall IMO!

Also, remember that ADSL is a best effort service, just because you're paying for 4 meg doesnt mean you'll always get it. However, its not fair to pay for 4meg and NEVER get it either!
 
torrents last night jump from 0.1 kb to about 90 kb average on my 4meg line. this is rubbish. news was a little faster at 150 kb but erratic as well.
nothing like when i was with axxess or even telkom. well the joys of uncapped i suppose.
 
What makes cybersmart better? Are they ok iwth 400GB+ usage pm? Whats their shaping speed on p2p/news servers?

Well, you can use 400GB a month but you will pay through your *** for that at cybersmart. I don't use news but used p2p last month and that max out at 450KBps on cybersmart.

I think what makes them better is they don't offer uncapped accounts, so people don't abuse it, well you could but you will pay for it.
 
Well, you can use 400GB a month but you will pay through your *** for that at cybersmart. I don't use news but used p2p last month and that max out at 450KBps on cybersmart.

I think what makes them better is they don't offer uncapped accounts, so people don't abuse it, well you could but you will pay for it.

Bah! Then its a fail, no1 is better than Mweb... yet! ;)
 
Hi SabreWolfy,

We are continuing to investgate the symptom. As per my PM have you verified that your PPPoE connection (on your router) is running the standard ADSL mtu of 1492 ? It should be default, however if changed to some other value it may cause sub-optimal results.

MWB.

Hi Mweb, can you perhaps help me out here. I am having a speed issue with my dsl so I phoned you guys the last 2 night. Your consultant that spoke to me (I only have his email addy and not his name) said that I should change my MTU -> 1452 and NOT 1492. So you guys have double standards or what's going on? Can you please give me some info.

Thanks
 
Hi guys and gals,

Apart from the slow speeds, we have been having issues with our line dropping (losing sync) on Telkom's side. So badly that last month we had in excess of 540 sessions (session = every connection request to MWEB's radius server). By debugging and researching this, we discovered two things: firstly, that somewhere up to us, and I say somewhere because it sounds like it is before it even gets to our mini-exchange, Telkom worked on some underground cables and did not insulate/seal them properly which meant that the line was wet most of the time. With all the maintenance Telkom are doing (when I checked their site they had like 6 or 7 teams just in the JHB area) it is definitely possible that this improper sealing/insulating might have happened elsewhere. The second thing we learned was how a line's Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and Attenuation can lead to slow speeds and unstable connections. My suggestion would be to do some research and check your lines too. Our's is far from ideal and definitely explains the line dropping.

Then to MWEB,
Any progress on the national latency issue? And are you sure that all your international BW has been restored to 100% capacity? In another interview with Rudi he mentioned that Seacom was not yet running 100% and that your backup/alternative suppliers failed to live up to their responsibilities.

Regards
Malaia
 
Hi Mweb, can you perhaps help me out here. I am having a speed issue with my dsl so I phoned you guys the last 2 night. Your consultant that spoke to me (I only have his email addy and not his name) said that I should change my MTU -> 1452 and NOT 1492. So you guys have double standards or what's going on? Can you please give me some info.

Thanks


Thanks, but you were the one who was confused (and cross-posting).
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ers-Feedback&p=3889257&viewfull=1#post3889257
 
I tried to download a 820 MB game from XBOX Live last night. I lined up the download at about 22:00. When I woke up at 07:00 the download was only 83% complete!

MWEB 4MB uncapped. This is truly pathetic. I couldn't even download 1 gig in nine hours!
 
I tried to download a 820 MB game from XBOX Live last night. I lined up the download at about 22:00. When I woke up at 07:00 the download was only 83% complete!

MWEB 4MB uncapped. This is truly pathetic. I couldn't even download 1 gig in nine hours!

You must really have bad luck because I can do full speed 24/7. Are you sure that the server itself wasn't slow?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X