New Rain uncapped 4G package launched

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
New Rain uncapped 4G package launched

Rain has launched a new "unlimited" 4G data offering for South Africans, priced at R479 per month.

The product is a 4G/LTE SIM which can be used in compatible home routers, smartphones, tablets, or MiFi devices.

ngoni615

Besides the streaming at 360p...try streamining with that resolution on any large screen..its going to look horrible
Yes very bad. They seem to be throttling streaming to 480p on the 250package unless you use vpn and this is just scummy. I do not want to watch videos on 480 or 360p on a large device. looks horrible. even worse on a 4k screen.

phly

Expert Member
I know we have been asking for this ... but I don't know. Is this what we have been asking for. I kinda expected way more. Am I right to assume current 4g does not have streaming limitations and this new package does??

ngoni615

Upload generally depends on signal strength, but I'll let yall know once I'm up and running. Currently on my off-peak unlimited I get ~30/5 so doubt I'll get anything more up.
change your frequency i get a much higher upload speed than that bud

Tector

Again with this streaming limits?? Would be great if this was not the case. On the 5G package it has been determined that they don't limit although they say they do. Hope someone can confirm if they enforce it or not?

Goosfrabba

While the limit on streaming to 360p sucks, it's understandable. I cancelled my service with them because it became unusable. If this makes the service usable, worth a look again

bav

do they enforce a streaming resolution with the R250 package? I haven't noticed any

ngoni615

I h
do they enforce a streaming resolution with the R250 package? I haven't noticed any
I have noticed it now. I am being throttled on youtube and netflix. I have started using my vpn browser extension to get around this and it is so annoying.

Randux

Expert Member
Why limit the video quality when a speed limit is already in place?

Dev()n

Why limit the video quality when a speed limit is already in place?
My assumption is it's all about avoiding congestion. At 10Mbps a 360p video will load far quicker and that means less time less congestion.

cavedog

Honorary Master
If they allow 1080p on this then the network will surely fall down on it's knees. There just Isn't enough bandwidth on the tower there WILL never be because they don't have the spectrum.

This is a very good deal but I suspect the already stretched network will not be able to cope especially during peak time.

Last edited: