New Rain uncapped 4G package launched

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
How do they limit the resolution that you watch streaming services in? Surely that is determined by the streaming service like Netflix??????? If you get 10mbps then Netflix will most likely deem that acceptable to push 720P to you.
Well it is easy enough to throttle certain URL's, protocols, IP's etc. from the network side. But like people have said, you can bypass any throttling by using a VPN, unless they also limit those VPN connections by using the VPN provider's IP addresses. But it's a moving target.

What they are hoping is that 80% of people aren't tech savvy enough to do the above.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
You can shape traffic for certain services to a specific level on accounts capable of much more speed. It's a QoS feature that cellular providers get from their network infrastructure providers as part of the software package that comes with their hardware.

All video services will have a specific identifier in the packets sent up and down the network (a DSCP mark), and you can use these to selectively speed up or slow down certain types of traffic no matter the destination. Most ISPs will strip or ignore the DSCP mark just before it reaches the consumer - and some even have their own custom marks - so that consumers and clients can't work around their shaping protocols.
They didn't and don't cap video to 480p as advertised on the Standard 5G package. Marketing gimmick.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Michael Jordaan just tweeted I can upgrade via an email. Have sent through my request and can't wait to see if they enforce the limit (and if Warp+ can bypass it)
The support agent said I must order a new sim. Pathetic. I already have two uncapped sims and should be able to just upgrade one pro rata.

cavedog

Honorary Master
South Africans are the most ungrateful people I know. Rain can literally give this away for free and people will complain about speed and the fact that its 360p streaming....

You guys do realize with the spectrum Rain has no other network in EU or NA offers a similarly priced deal at all.

McGuywer

Executive Member
South Africans are the most ungrateful people I know. Rain can literally give this away for free and people will complain about speed and the fact that its 360p streaming....

You guys do realize with the spectrum Rain has no other network in EU or NA offers a similarly priced deal at all.
Good point. I agree. If you dont like it, move on or start your own ISP.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

What is bad is the fact that I'm getting 1.5Mbps.

Stevieza

Below are the speeds i got when the rain launched it's lte services. 10Mbps is a bit of a downgrade and the speeds have been terrible the last 2 months. Waiting for my fibre to be installed end of the month same spec, uncapped For less R/m.

20200317_093303.jpg

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
View attachment 801923

Let's see who wins the race :p
If you require to upgrade your 4G unlimited off-peak sim to the new Uncapped 4G for R479 month-to-month ,

The delivery and billing occurs the same as before with regards to 4G,

You will have to cancel your current product being 4G/5G , you will pay on the 1st of april for march usages, As well as an upfront fee for the uncapped product ,

On the 1st of april you will be charged for the uncapped product but the up front fee will be used to pay that invoice,
Pathetic. Have to wait till April fools.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Apart from the streaming video condition, what's the catch? What else is blocked or rate limited.

DTBA

Expert Member
That's BS you're spouting.
Yesterday I could not understand why my youtube videos won't load @ 720p I checked my speedtest and they are fine So I just left it. This morning after reading I tested it my side again yup... 360p load fine 720p buffers I need to use vpn. So they are not talking bull this is on the R250 uncapped. O never had this till yesterday

Grouter

Expert Member
Yesterday I could not understand why my youtube videos won't load @ 720p I checked my speedtest and they are fine So I just left it. This morning after reading I tested it my side again yup... 360p load fine 720p buffers I need to use vpn. So they are not talking bull this is on the R250 uncapped. O never had this till yesterday
Same experience. I thought it was just me...

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
And if you stream @ 2am?

DTBA

Expert Member
Theres no streaming limit. It's a stupid marketing gimmick.
And if you need proof i can make a video :) easy as that I am sure that we are not gonna come here to make up a story. I tested with my vpn that solved it back to 1080p