New Rain uncapped 4G package launched

cavedog

Honorary Master
What is bad is the fact that I'm getting 1.5Mbps.
There isn't much they can do about it at all.

4x4 mimo on band 38 maxes out at 220Mbps and 4x4 mimo maxes out at 180Mbps give or take. That gives a total of very roughly 400Mbps per tower that has both bands and run both bands in a 4x4 mimo configuration. That is a physical spectrum limitation there is nothing they can do about that unless they are given more spectrum.

Now you factor in distance that slows it down. CPE that might not support 4x4 mimo. Congestion because how many Fixed LTE users, Rain Mobile R250 users and Vodacom customers per Rain tower? Things are going to get pretty slow.

The max above is if the tower is run by Rain and supported by fibre backhaul. Microwave links will likely be slower. Towers only running Band 3 will be worse as they are run by Vodacom and usually only run at 2x2 mimo and is run from the same sector antennas as Vodacom so can't be upgraded. Needs new antennas. Those are also usually microwave backhaul.

It's obviously not ideal but congestion is going to be the order of the day unfortunately so they would need to manage the heavy downloaders unfortunately.

I stand to be corrected though as info regarding max rates aren't that easily available.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
And if you need proof i can make a video :) easy as that I am sure that we are not gonna come here to make up a story. I tested with my vpn that solved it back to 1080p
Then why are the Standard 5G guys not being throttled?

Nqindi

South Africans are the most ungrateful people I know. Rain can literally give this away for free and people will complain about speed and the fact that its 360p streaming....

You guys do realize with the spectrum Rain has no other network in EU or NA offers a similarly priced deal at all.
What I will never understand it that if Rain is so terrible then why don't they get other service providers. That is what I do. If I am not happy with a service rather than whinge on the internet, I contact the service provider and if they can't help me I move my money elsewhere. I guess some people just like to complain.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
why must it be at @ 2 am > I am getting 20mbps down during the day I never had this now since yesterday it happen. I can test it tonight if you want me
Nah don't have to. This is cray. 360p. No ways.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
There isn't much they can do about it at all.

4x4 mimo on band 38 maxes out at 220Mbps and 4x4 mimo maxes out at 180Mbps give or take. That gives a total of very roughly 400Mbps per tower that has both bands and run both bands in a 4x4 mimo configuration. That is a physical spectrum limitation there is nothing they can do about that unless they are given more spectrum.

Now you factor in distance that slows it down. CPE that might not support 4x4 mimo. Congestion because how many Fixed LTE users, Rain Mobile R250 users and Vodacom customers per Rain tower? Things are going to get pretty slow.

The max above is if the tower is run by Rain and supported by fibre backhaul. Microwave links will likely be slower. Towers only running Band 3 will be worse as they are run by Vodacom and usually only run at 2x2 mimo and is run from the same sector antennas as Vodacom so can't be upgraded. Needs new antennas. Those are also usually microwave backhaul.

It's obviously not ideal but congestion is going to be the order of the day unfortunately so they would need to manage the heavy downloaders unfortunately.

I stand to be corrected though as info regarding max rates aren't that easily available.
Mounting more towers is going to help the situation. Not?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I am on 5G and I am not being throttled. I watch everything on the best possible quality. My torrents are also fast.
That's what I wanna know. Why? Or it's because there's no congestion yet on 5G?

phly

Expert Member
I hope the man on the top wins. I am ready to switch - just want to avoid all the hassle of ordering a new sim.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
If only 'streaming' is restricted:

1. Pay R479 per month
2. Use the Netflix Windows app to download your shows in full HD.
4. Watch episodes from the app.
5.???
6. Profit
Or pay R250 for the off-peak uncapped and save R229

frost717

check the network speed trying rain on youtube with and without vpn
I tried it through the Opera GX browser and 1080P is doable, using regular chrome however, pushes it down to 720P. I can live with this compromise IF

They treat each stream URL as a unique throttle, rather than limiting an entire connection. Example: Lounge streaming and my PC streaming would be separate.

Though, I will say that I got 100Mbps consistently since I got my sim, I'm the only one on my tower - I feel that the throttle should be based on how many people you got on your tower + network demand overall...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Well, if I cannot use it to stream NetFlix at, at least 720p then it is not worth my while. 10mbps unlimited is otherwise decent at that price.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Mounting more towers is going to help the situation. Not?
Yes but at what cost? New towers are very very expensive and finding place on existing towers is just as expensive when it comes to equipment and renting space. R479 p/m uncapped users will certainly not cover the cost.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
They didn't and don't cap video to 480p as advertised on the Standard 5G package. Marketing gimmick.
Maybe they do, based on region and congestion. I was explaining how it works.

So they are not talking bull this is on the R250 uncapped. O never had this till yesterday
Given that they expect more people to be using their services over the next two months, they might start limiting streams for more people.

wcm

Is it Month-Month ? Can I cancel within the first month if connection is terrible ?