New Rain uncapped 4G package launched

Joseph matane

I know we have been asking for this ... but I don't know. Is this what we have been asking for. I kinda expected way more. Am I right to assume current 4g does not have streaming limitations and this new package does??
I sense they will change few things from it because is unfair for someone paying less to be getting more while someone paying more get less
I expect Rain Mobile to limit download speed for unlimited off peak data plan and streaming video quality

phly

Expert Member
But limit the speeds to atleast 720p to HD - 360p is just a slap on the face

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Yes very bad. They seem to be throttling streaming to 480p on the 250package unless you use vpn and this is just scummy. I do not want to watch videos on 480 or 360p on a large device. looks horrible. even worse on a 4k screen.
That's BS you're spouting.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I can't even get 1Mbps due to congestion - how is this going to help?
Exactly. Max I get is 1.5Mbps. But at night (early morning) I hit 20Mbps. So this is useless. Would be enticing if at least I had decent speeds.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
How do they limit the resolution that you watch streaming services in? Surely that is determined by the streaming service like Netflix??????? If you get 10mbps then Netflix will most likely deem that acceptable to push 720P to you.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
How do they limit the resolution that you watch streaming services in? Surely that is determined by the streaming service like Netflix??????? If you get 10mbps then Netflix will most likely deem that acceptable to push 720P to you.
They don't. They claimed on their standard 5G package but they don't.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I h

I have noticed it now. I am being throttled on youtube and netflix. I have started using my vpn browser extension to get around this and it is so annoying.
Try streaming 1080p at 02:00 and come back with your claims.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
If they allow 1080p on thise then the network will surely fall down on it's knees. There just Isn't enough bandwidth on the tower there WILL never be because they don't have the spectrum.

This is a very good deal but I suspect the already stretched network will not be able to cope especially during peak time.
If they allow? How the heck are they going to enforce it? We've pretty much got our answers when the standard package didn't have any apparent limits.

And generally 1080p is 5Mbps. So that's still half of that speed.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
You can shape traffic for certain services to a specific level on accounts capable of much more speed. It's a QoS feature that cellular providers get from their network infrastructure providers as part of the software package that comes with their hardware.

All video services will have a specific identifier in the packets sent up and down the network (a DSCP mark), and you can use these to selectively speed up or slow down certain types of traffic no matter the destination. Most ISPs will strip or ignore the DSCP mark just before it reaches the consumer - and some even have their own custom marks - so that consumers and clients can't work around their shaping protocols.

phly

Expert Member
I am trying it out to see how it fares. if it is even half of what I am currently getting i'll stick with them. If they "say" but dont "enforce" then its all good