New Webafrica Network Migration

Stuey74

@WebAfrica Helper My router has picked up DNS servers on the new network as 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. Is this now the default for WA? Do you have other DNS servers as my gateway gives me errors when using them - DNS server fails to resolve DNSBL queries.

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
@WebAfrica Helper My router has picked up DNS servers on the new network as 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. Is this now the default for WA? Do you have other DNS servers as my gateway gives me errors when using them - DNS server fails to resolve DNSBL queries.
Good Morning @Stuey74

They are indeed the new DNS settings from the new network. Tested and retested - they are working:thumbsup:.

You can, of course, change the DNS to whatever you prefer - it should also work.

For further DNS support - if required :giggle: - please email support@webafrica.co.za with all your connection detail and required assistance - kindly DM us with the auto-generated ticket ref#

Thanks a mil

Webafrica

Stuey74

So the shiny new network has no fixed IP for non business customers and uses someone else's DNS servers. Guess that is the final push I needed to go elsewhere.

wingnut771

Executive Member
So the shiny new network has no fixed IP for non business customers and uses someone else's DNS servers. Guess that is the final push I needed to go elsewhere.
pretty much everyone uses those dns's, you must have another issue.

Stuey74

Webafrica[/QUOTE]
pretty much everyone uses those dns's, you must have another issue.
Yeah, my Untangle gateway's spam and web filters doesn't like them, was fine until they switched me to the new network, the old network had their own servers.

Tinuva

The Magician
Yeah, my Untangle gateway's spam and web filters doesn't like them, was fine until they switched me to the new network, the old network had their own servers.
Test 8.8.8.8 set manually and see if that resolves the issue?

Stuey74

Test 8.8.8.8 set manually and see if that resolves the issue?
From the Untangle wiki:

Spam Blocker and Spam Blocker Lite rely on DNSBL (DNS blacklists) to categorize spam. Several publicly available and often used DNS servers do not supply access to these services. For example, google(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), opendns(208.67.222.222, 208.67.222.220), level3(4.2.2.1,4.2.2.2) do not provide resolution for DNSBL queries. It is recommended to configure Untangle to use your ISP's DNS servers for effective spam filtering.

Works great if your ISP has its own DNS servers - as previously. When they get lazy and use public ones - not so great.

Tinuva

The Magician
From the Untangle wiki:

Spam Blocker and Spam Blocker Lite rely on DNSBL (DNS blacklists) to categorize spam. Several publicly available and often used DNS servers do not supply access to these services. For example, google(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), opendns(208.67.222.222, 208.67.222.220), level3(4.2.2.1,4.2.2.2) do not provide resolution for DNSBL queries. It is recommended to configure Untangle to use your ISP's DNS servers for effective spam filtering.

Works great if your ISP has its own DNS servers - as previously. When they get lazy and use public ones - not so great.
Ok I get the issue.

Must admit, I have never tried to do DNSBL queries on a commercial internet connection, always had dedicated IPs and own hosted DNS for that.

Sent you an unofficial option to test in DM.

kohlhtor

Expert Member
Download speed is not great
2.18 Mb/s compared to vox 3.73 Mb/s
It was a 400 mb file with download Manager it starts high and the last 40 mb dropped to 140 kB/s

This is on VDSL 40

Last edited:

adsl3g

Expert Member
Was updated last night - all good so far - no issues yet... (hope it stays that way)