News server related queries

Newhost has been offline for many hours already. I think from about 3am this morning someone said, so its been offline for over 7 hours already.
 
Yeah Saix been quite crappy today tbh , its been just spiking like 11 - 15kb and dropping for 3 seconds and repeating? any 1 else got this today?

Yesterday was <3
 
Your Spring 2009 newsletter from the NZB scene.

Here is our top 5 NZB Index sites for 2009.

Number 1
NZBMatrix
URL: http://nzbmatrix.com

Number 2
Newzbin
URL: http://www.newzbin.com

Number 3
Merlins Portal
URL: http://www.merlins-portal.net

Number 4
United Forums
URL: http://www.united-forums.co.uk

Number 5
NZBSrUS
URL: http://www.nzbsrus.com


So thats our top 5 NZB Index sites, so if your new to NZBs or a old pro you should find something of interest there.

For a more complete list of NZBsites please visit www.NZBSites.com

We have also teamed up with a new Usenet Service provider comparison site, UsenetCompare.com if you need a provider, or would like to check out whats available then please use their comparison engine.

Thanks for reading, we hope to bring you more news over the next year.
 
Garyvdh and co. please help me get my mind around this one. During the day, when things are supposed to be shaped I get full line speed on cached items. At night after 6 when things are supposed to be unshaped, the d/l becomes "choppy". I'm using Grabit and Saix2. Was there a change in policy perhaps? If I should just shut up and be thankful, you can say that!
 
Garyvdh and co. please help me get my mind around this one. During the day, when things are supposed to be shaped I get full line speed on cached items. At night after 6 when things are supposed to be unshaped, the d/l becomes "choppy". I'm using Grabit and Saix2. Was there a change in policy perhaps? If I should just shut up and be thankful, you can say that!

During off-peak times a lot more people download than during the day, so download speeds aren't guaranteed to be of any use at all....
 
Is SAIX2 back, I thought it just redirected to the same IP as SAIX1 ?!

Other that that, your speeds do seem to be negatively correlated to the norm :p
 
i get the same .. shaped hours cached items run at line speed (4Mb) .. during unshaped hours the cached items dont run at line speed at all which is annoying ... also unshaped hours uncached items are really slow ...

and saix will only be "flying" on a 384KB line ;)
 
i get the same .. shaped hours cached items run at line speed (4Mb) .. during unshaped hours the cached items dont run at line speed at all which is annoying ... also unshaped hours uncached items are really slow ...

+1 :mad:
 
Thought i would come in to work early to download some stuff of news server.

As my adsl line is getting moved to my new place and the speeds are **** dropping every 3 sec max speed so far was 90 kbs on a 4 mb line.
 
I have a normal Telkom DoBroadband account, 1gb international. I download about 20-25gb local every month. It's on a 384k line, but I'm looking at upgrading to a 4mb.

What is the cheapest option to get about 100gb local? Which ISP/acount option would you recommend?
 
I have a normal Telkom DoBroadband account, 1gb international. I download about 20-25gb local every month. It's on a 384k line, but I'm looking at upgrading to a 4mb.

What is the cheapest option to get about 100gb local? Which ISP/acount option would you recommend?

Do you grab that 20-25GB local from the telkom 1GB account?
If so are Telkom charging you for the local over 10GB?

On the 100GB per month maybe try Mweb, i believe that their local is completely uncapped/unlimited after you hit your international cap, not that i can find the details of this on their website :confused:
 
Yip, getting the 25-30 local after I use the 1gb international. Nope, not being charged...yet :)

I'm definitely going to give the Mweb account a go! It's not like its illegal, all ISPs are meant to be offering free local, South Africans are just so used being screwed that we sit back and pay up for a crap service. I hope Mweb sticks to their word, because they're going to get loads more customers if they do.
 
I have been using news servers for sometime now, and it usually used to be, that when I get a connection, I get spped upto abou 460kbps....however recently i've noticed that when i do get a connection I get speeds of abou 10k max....and the connections get lost very quickly, what could be the problem?
 
I have been using news servers for sometime now, and it usually used to be, that when I get a connection, I get spped upto abou 460kbps....however recently i've noticed that when i do get a connection I get speeds of abou 10k max....and the connections get lost very quickly, what could be the problem?

sigh.... if you don't know the reason by now, you'll never know why :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X