Photography Online Scammers

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
So while looking for some good special on lenses I came across these guys --> http://www.cameragear.wozaonline.co.za/ which led to this

I contacted Desmond of Camera Gear on 16/12/2013 to purchase a camera I saw on Gumtree. I paid Desmond R7000 into an absa account and was said that my package will be delivered before 12h00 the following day. After many calls and emails I only receive the tracking number (1387272101) the following day. It was said that he did not have the camera in stock and had to deliver directly from the supplier whom is in the UK. The package was promised to be at my house the following day, 18/12/2013, couriered personally by Fairlane delivery services. David, whom I contacted from Fairlane delivery serves, send me a message to my cellphone that I should check my email regarding my packages. He stated on the email Charges to be paid: Custom Handling Charges : R880; Custom Tax : R920; Custom Clearance : R1,550; Total Amount : R3,350. I contacted Desmond and he said they will refund me I just need to pay the costs to get my package delivered. I paid the costs and received yet another email from David stating that I should another r3350 due to my 2 packages on my name. I contacted Desmond yet again. He said that his head office made a mistake and instead of one camera, send 2 cameras. He assured me that if I pay the second r3350 that I may keep both cameras and sell the second one to cover my expenses. I paid. Then I could not get hold of Desmond nor David until much later that day. 18/12/2013 I had to pay another r4999 to cover the second camera. Furious, I refused. Desmond and David ignored my calls. I felt so upset and was filled with tears at the amount of money I had spent with nothing to show for it. Desmond sent me an email stating that to “Please pay R3,650 to finalize delivery, i was told the courier will close for xmas tomorrow, my advice for you is to make the final charges and get your stuff delivered, I left my phone in the office” and said that he had left his phone at the office. Desperate for my cameras I paid the amount and sent them the proof of payment. Desmond and David assured me that my package will arrive 20/12/2013. Then Desmond emailed me telling me to “Please one more thing, you will have to balance R300 for the camera bundle + R3,350 for the clearance, my MD said we only make token from the sales and we cannot pay the full amount for the clearance, you're to pay half (R3,350) while we pay half too R3,350.” This was very confusing as I paid both import costs on both packages. I then received a final email from David stating that he will deliver immediately if I pay him r1870 for storage and reschedule of delivery and to stay home by 4pm. I paid and waited outside for my packages to arrive. At 4pm I called Desmond due to the fact that I could not get hold of David. Desmond said that he got hold of David and that my package should be there any minute. At 6pm 20/12/2013 I could not get hold of neither David nor Desmond. It is 24/12/2013 and I still have not received an email or call regarding where my packages are, both their phones are disconnected.
A total of r23 929 was spent on an item that was surpassingly to be r7000. I spent all the money I had and could not buy any Christmas presents and did not even have the cameras to show for it. This has been a nightmare for me and my family. -

Then when looking further I saw they like using the words "Nikon deluxe accessory kit" in a lot of their ads which I've never really seen used too often elsewhere. If you google the phrase and select SA you'll see tons of these popping up.

This person is mentioned the majority of the time:

CONTACT
CAMERA AFRICA
Sales Manager
Mr BRON.GREY
Tell: (27) 08 1218 5851
Fax: (27)086 245 3830
Some of the websites and emails:

camerafrica.wozaonline.co.za
cameragear.wozaonline.co.za
Hotline: +27810857803 Digidirectsales@gmail.com
Different bunch maybe-- http://hificel.wozaonline.co.za/home
Affordable Gadgets
Sales Manager On 076 224 7436
Fax: 086 234 8194
Email: affordablesgadgets@gmail.com

Tun@

Expert Member
Sad! Those prices on that site should ring some loud suspect bells tho.
Check out T-Dimension if your looking to see if you can get cheaper with import gear,sometimes it's not worth it & other times it is.
www.t-dimension.com

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Sad! Those prices on that site should ring some loud suspect bells tho.
Check out T-Dimension if your looking to see if you can get cheaper with import gear,sometimes it's not worth it & other times it is.
www.t-dimension.com
Well hopefully if people google the names they'll end up here...I hope.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
TBH, I would not purchase cameras or any other high-value item from Woza. See thread mentioned in previous post. You can be guaranteed to lose your money or have your credit card compromised...

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
TBH, I would not purchase cameras or any other high-value item from Woza. See thread mentioned in previous post. You can be guaranteed to lose your money or have your credit card compromised...
That may be true but it also holds true for Gumtree, olx, junk mail and Bob. Like they say if it looks too good to be true.....

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Damn, that quote in the OP - that poor person really got taken for huge ride :erm:

herbertk

Expert Member
I have bought camera gear online a few times, but I always use an escrow.

As to the quote in the OP's post I understand wanting something and so on but sho by the second "customs and handling" charge I would have jumped ship !

EDIT : IMHO when a business uses a gmail / hotmail / yahoo address I start getting a little suspicous....

Last edited:

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I just read the whole Scamdex story - wow, the guy paid R24,000.00 for a 7K camera - how on earth can someone fall for this and continue paying?

herbertk

Expert Member
I just read the whole Scamdex story - wow, the guy paid R24,000.00 for a 7K camera - how on earth can someone fall for this and continue paying?
+1 come to think of it by the first R 3350 I would have told the guy to refund me or give me the R 3350 in advance why would someone pay R3350 to import a 7k camera ?

I feel for the dude though but wow...

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Yeah I honestly have no Idea hey. It's very sad though.

I have bought camera gear online a few times, but I always use an escrow.

As to the quote in the OP's post I understand wanting something and so on but sho by the second "customs and handling" charge I would have jumped ship !

EDIT : IMHO when a business uses a gmail / hotmail / yahoo address I start getting a little suspicous....
?

herbertk

Expert Member
Yeah I honestly have no Idea hey. It's very sad though.

?
most obvious is https://escrow.com. I would not go to all the trouble for small transactions but basicly you pay a third party, they send proof and garuntee of funds to the seller. Once the item is received you release the funds from the escrow. (thats it in a nutshell)

herbertk

Expert Member
How do organise that with a private person living in another city?
I have done this with a private person on Ebay before, but it will obviously depend on the person. It is not worth the hassle for small amounts but for bigger amounts it gives one peace of mind! I initially used it when I baught my first camera online probably 10 years ago when online transactions was a little more "unknown" (for me anyhow) and still use them for bigger transactions unless it is a well established name like BH or such.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
most obvious is https://escrow.com. I would not go to all the trouble for small transactions but basicly you pay a third party, they send proof and garuntee of funds to the seller. Once the item is received you release the funds from the escrow. (thats it in a nutshell)
Ah ok thanks. Didn't even know about such services being offered.