PIN on SIM or not?

OokMobile

Do you put a PIN on your SIM or not?

I have a PIN on my contract SIM, and on my one frequently-used SIM, but the rest (prepaid, of course) doesn't have any PIN codes on, to facilitate easy swapping on any MIFI device.

It just is for my own ease of mind, knowing that should some foul ne'er-do-well get away with my contract SIM, he/she'll only have three guesseses as to my PIN, which is practically impossible.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
PINs are so 1990's nobody uses them anymore, because of the ease of the sim-swap.

Totempole

Expert Member
PINs are so 1990's nobody uses them anymore, because of the ease of the sim-swap.

It still buys you a bit of time if your phone is stolen, particularly of you have a passworded lock screen.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
It still buys you a bit of time if your phone is stolen, particularly of you have a passworded lock screen.

Well, as far as I know, the lock screen password has nothing to do with the SIM PIN.
It does buy time, but there's too many easy hacking tools around this.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I only have to enter it once in a blue moon so I don't see why risk it if I don't have to.

Hardly an inconvenience.

genetic

Honorary Master
I definitely use SIM pins - especially on my 3G dongle. Don't want to lose that and have a bill for a couple of thousands at the end of the month!