Please Rate Cool Ideas

Rate Cool Ideas, based on value-for-money, network quality, and support.

• Excellent

Votes: 206 52.0%
  • Good

Votes: 93 23.5%
  • Fair

Votes: 37 9.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • Pathetic

Votes: 35 8.8%

• Total voters

SplaT

If they can work on two issues (that I've experienced), they would be the best ISP SA has ever seen:

1) Their awful support. Tickets go unanswered, sometimes for weeks. Sometimes it just goes completely ignored. The forum support makes up for that a bit, though, but most customers have to rely on their ticket system.

Edit: Let me amend the first point. They tried to double bill me for July. Probably some confusion over moving to a new place. So I sent a ticket and it was answered and resolved within 2 hours. So this is both bad and good. But it shows their support can have really amazing response time, so I don't know how to rate their level of support, because I've also had tickets that went unanswered for weeks only for PBCool to assist me on the forums instead so I end up just closing the ticket on the portal.

2) For some reason you have to use a proxy to watch Twitch properly (which is hidden away in the 400 page forum thread somewhere). While this isn't a massive problem for me personally, most customers probably don't know to search myBB forum threads for a proxy or how to use it. I don't understand why, if they know how to deliver a smooth Twitch experience, a proxy is required instead of just working out of the box. I'm sure they have their reasons though. I'm aware most of their customers probably don't watch or know what Twitch is and wouldn't consider this a problem, but I can only speak of my experience.

Their international goes down now and then, however, either completely or just at much slower throughput. I don't know enough of what's going on behind the scenes to know if that is Cool Ideas' fault, so personally I'm just gonna call it unfortunate circumstances and not hold it against them until I'm more informed.

But when their internet works, it's absolutely rock solid, which is 99.8% of the time. I've only seen international struggle once or twice since I've been with them the last few years, so for me it's a non-issue. I can't speak for other people's experience, though.

All-in-all, I have and would recommend Cool Ideas to family and friends and I don't regret it. I've gotten them like 10 new customers.

Last edited:

Casimiya

I have been with Cool,Ideas for over a year now and have had no issues. Whenever my service has gone down, they are quick to assist and provide regular feedback.
Because of the service, I registered my domain with them and i also host with them.

RazorCPT

If they can work on two issues (that I've experienced), they would be the best ISP SA has ever seen:

1) Their absolutely awful support. Tickets go unanswered, sometimes for weeks. Sometimes it just goes completely ignored. The forum support makes up for that a bit, though, but most customers have to rely on their ticket system.

2) For some reason you have to use a proxy to watch Twitch properly (which is hidden away in the 400 page forum thread somewhere). While this isn't a massive problem for me personally, most customers probably don't know to search myBB forum threads for a proxy or how to use it. I don't understand why, if they know how to deliver a smooth Twitch experience, a proxy is required instead of just working out of the box. I'm sure they have their reasons though. I'm aware most of their customers probably don't watch or know what Twitch is and wouldn't consider this a problem, but I can only speak of my experience.

Their international goes down now and then, however, either completely or just at much slower throughput. I don't know enough of what's going on behind the scenes to know if that is Cool Ideas' fault, so personally I'm just gonna call it unfortunate circumstances and not hold it against them until I'm more informed.

But when their internet works, it's absolutely rock solid, which is 99.5% of the time. I've only seen international struggle once or twice since I've been with them the last few years, so for me it's a non-issue. I can't speak for other people's experience, though.
Proxy detail: stuprx01.cisp.co.za 3128 :)

osbeug001

Very happy... Great service & response time on tickets.
Small complaint is that I receive an invoice of R0 and warning notifications.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Been with them for nearly 11 months via Openserve's network. No complaints from my side. Whenever there were a couple of issues, they were quick to resolve it. Although they're a bit expensive on the Openserve side, I don't mind paying the extra as I've only had pure bliss downloading and streaming without any issues :cool:

trancecult303

I have had excellent service from this ISP. There were a few issues getting setup as a result of the fibre infrastructure in my area, but Cool ideas support was very helpful working in conjuction with the fire provider. Excellent value for money.

skinndeep

Expert Member
I rated them excellent for now, their ticketing is slower now days but maybe as the customers have picked up they don't have enough staff to deal with all online queries. But the quality of line and cost it is such a pleasure

paulosouthafrica

I have had good service with Cool Ideas.
Stability has been very good due to Vumatel fiber where latency and speeds have been really great with Cool Ideas.
I agree the few tickets I have logged have only been responded to in a day or two, this is not acceptable and is why I voted Good instead of Excellent.
The connection has only had an outage on occasion but no more than expected from other ISPs.
@PBCool works hard to make sure clients are happy though.

blaakies

Their support team could do with better communication and a faster response time towards their clients but value for money is good for their lower tier packages.

Ledigimate

I can't complain. I've been with Cool Ideas for almost a year now and so far haven't had any problems. I just did a speed test on my 100Mbps downstream and 50Mbps line, and getting 71.95Mbps down and 46.71Mbps up, with 6ms ping. Very happy.

Edit: I must add that I did the speed test over Wi-Fi about 20 meters from the router and probably about 0.5m worth of brick walls in between.

Last edited:

Lydon

Expert Member
We've been very happy since we moved to them over a year ago from Vox (on Octotel). Their network quality has been amazing. We haven't had to contact support. Vox was very unstable with random, massive lag spikes, while we've had no issues on CI (touch wood).

flamevector

Decent ISP for connection, but they have THE WORST customer support. Tickets go unanswered and when they are answered it sounds like the guy answering it is a junior and not knowledgeable about the issues. still got one ticket outstanding from 30/06/2019 .

So in short good ISP as long as you never need support.

TheTwo

Expert Member
Good connection speeds, Terrible customer service experience. That is all

I find them excellent. The few tickets I have logged was responded to quickly (if after hours, then early the next business day).

Speed is good, stability is good with very few hassles. Vumatel backend.

Rated good, last few days have been having small internet drops for 4 to 5 seconds.

I can concur that I have seen my work VPN drop more than usual the past few days, but it's been stable today.

I regularly recommend them to my friends and family.

kiewiet13

They are excellant value-for-money
I have been with them for 2 months. No network problems
Their support to change over was spot on. No fuss. I could do it myself
Their billing is seemless. I get my invoice. Follow the link and pay.
Ordered my modem and within 3 days they delivered it via Courier

I am moving from SADV to Vumatel and am not confident they won't drop the ball. Had mixed messages from them.

But so far. The best I have experienced so far.

darste

My rating: good.

Pros:
- The actual Internet service: it's excellent. I rarely have service issues and the speeds are consistently high;
- Price: also excellent, when considering the quality of service provided;
- Simplicity: no silly AUPs and no contracts;
- Payment options: I like being able to pay by credit card every month, with other options on offer, even Bitcoin!

Cons:
- Customer service: my gawd... When I had severe connectivity and speed issues at one point, I opened a ticket with CISP's customer numpties. After repeated requests for a response (over the course of several days), their immediate answer was that my wifi was on the blink. Despite repeatedly trying to explain that the speeds and connectivity issues were inconsistent, I got the same canned reply: "Your wifi's the problem". I eventually had to force them to open a ticket with Vumatel and I followed up with Vumatel myself throughout the process (i.e. doing the numpties' jobs for them because they simply weren't able to understand my issue). It was eventually figured out that the problem lay with Vumatel, courtesy of Joburg City Power's pickax-wielding workerjohnnies, who struck Vumatel's cable twice in the space of 20 metres.

I dread having to deal with CISP's customer service system again. They may as well close that department because it seems totally dysfunctional.

- Lack of after-hours service: CISP now has at least thousands of customers and must be making a decent amount of money. How do they not have an after-hours customer service offering?

Still, I think CISPs customers get a bloody good deal for a bloody good product.