R8,500 data bill for Windows 10 updates

cozinsky

Expert Member
"This means that a proactive request to unlock the line, and subsequent automated Window 10 updates, were to blame for the high data bill." This means that it is not Vodacom's fault and he has no one to blame except himself. Despite these soft lock options, I still prefer the top up options so that it is not possible to go OOB. I don't trust Vodacom with their open contracts with or without a set limitation.

Pilgrim

Wugger
Dum dum dum dum dum dum OOB SHARK!

If vodacon had any compassion they would work out the price for that in databundles and reduce the bill. Eg, if you used 5gb OOB then tell the client they went OOB by a huge margin then sell them a retrospective 5GB bundle for R399

Not that they would ever do that

Drifter

Honorary Master
Using cell phone data to upgrade Windows 10 is daft to start with.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Dum dum dum dum dum dum OOB SHARK!

If vodacon had any compassion they would work out the price for that in databundles and reduce the bill. Eg, if you used 5gb OOB then tell the client they went OOB by a huge margin then sell them a retrospective 5GB bundle for R399

Not that they would ever do that
The customer made a specific request for them to unblock the line, why the hell should Vodacom do anything other than charge the customer for the usage?

Lol this is funny, purposefully disable all the protections offered by the two companies least likely to give a **** and then complain about the bill to the press. Nope, send the men with the baseball bats.

d-_-b

Vodacom advised subscribers to turn off automatic updates
Do anybody know if Vodacom gives instructions on how to disable automatic updates?

Because I feel it is in their domain if they give advice like that. Especially because they do supply computer equipment and phones with contracts.

Enable "metered connection" in Windows 10.
Thanks will have a look into it.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Why didn't the customer initally investigated the numerous high usage SMS'es that was issued?

:rolleyes: Sorry, customer's own fault.

cpu.

Expert Member
Do anybody know if Vodacom gives instructions on how to disable automatic updates?

Because I feel it is in their domain if they give advice like that. Especially because they do supply computer equipment and phones with contracts.

Thanks will have a look into it.
They advise you on what to do. It's up to you to find out how. Google is easy enough to use.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Three idiots in this story:
1. Windows for forcing updates.
2. Vodacom for OOB
3. Customer for being stupid and then have the audacity to complain about it.

Solution
1. Windows
2. Prepaid data
3. .... OK, I have nothing.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol this is funny, purposefully disable all the protections offered by the two companies least likely to give a **** and then complain about the bill to the press. Nope, send the men with the baseball bats.
How do you know the person didn't have Windows 10 Home installed. How do you disable updates on Windows 10 Home pray tell me?

d-_-b

Pretty sure he has friends that do.
Maybe if you hang around on mybb you have friends with ADSL and Fibre, but ADSL and Fibre is still a luxury, even more so uncapped ADSL.

So I can see a lot of people not having access to a friend with uncapped internet.

Pretoria Libraries gives you free Internet Access(500mb). But these days a android update is a gig.