• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

RAIN Mobile

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm not sure how well the S7 radio is but from a frequency point it does support all the bands. You would need to research the datasheet to see what combinations of carrier aggregation it supports. Very hard to find though.

Jimmy

I'm not sure how well the S7 radio is but from a frequency point it does support all the bands. You would need to research the datasheet to see what combinations of carrier aggregation it supports. Very hard to find though.
I read your comment and im confused. I also googled "carrier aggregation s7 edge" but i am still confused lol...

What is carrier aggregation :confused:

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
What is carrier aggregation :confused:
Joining two or more cellular bands together in a MIMO setup to allow you to have a larger amount of bandwidth to use. See video below:

[video=youtube;yWyhtjwUCEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyhtjwUCEE[/video]

Also see here: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7945&idPhone2=7961&idPhone3=8161

The S8 supports LTE-A (5CA) while the S7 Edge is 3CA (three carrier-aggregation, which means it aggregates up to three signals). On paper the S7 Edge should support it.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Joining two or more cellular bands together in a MIMO setup to allow you to have a larger amount of bandwidth to use. See video below:

[video=youtube;yWyhtjwUCEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyhtjwUCEE[/video]

Also see here: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7945&idPhone2=7961&idPhone3=8161

The S8 supports LTE-A (5CA) while the S7 Edge is 3CA (three carrier-aggregation, which means it aggregates up to three signals). On paper the S7 Edge should support it.
+1

Due to the massive amount of combinations of spectrum allocations in the world there are so many carrier aggregation combinations.

I have gotten some really nice info from Rain directly.

a 4x4 mimo setup exclusively for B38 is theoretically faster than say a b3+b38 CA 2x2 mimo setup. That said however the ca give you advantage as you can combine 2 carriers so if 1 is congested then you could still experience good speeds since the second carrier is also thrown into the mix. A 4x4 mimo won't help the speeds if that specific carrier is congested then 4x4 mimo will probably not help at all.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
I'm trying to determine where the rain tower in my area is. (The method described in another thread to locate tower doesn't help me)

So I decided to give Rain online chat a go.

I joined the queue. After a few power naps an agent assists me. This is roughly how it went.

Agent : Hi, welcome how may I help you ?

Me : Good afternoon, if I provide you with my address could you more or less give me an indication where the Rain towers are in my area ?

Agent: What is the current address ?

Me : Provided the address

Silence for a few minutes

Me : Hello are you still there ? I provided you with the address

Silence again

Me : Hello here is the address again

Long silence

Me : Hello

Agent : Yes we have coverage in most of the major cities and other areas. More areas are being added so check the coverage map or contact Rain support at .........

Me : Sorry that was not my question. I do have coverage. My question was if you could give me an idea where the tower is

Long silence

Agent : Yes we have coverage and towers in most of the major areas. Your tower is in Gauteng

Me: /facepalm

Me: /End the chat

:wtf: At least I now know my tower is in Gauteng.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Just delivered. How do I make sure it's RICAd and activated.
Put it into an LTE device and see if you have connectivity? :wtf:

But chances are good you need to contact Rain and get them to Rica you. Haven't seen anyone here say that it was Rica'd upon arrival.

buyeye

Expert Member
Put it into an LTE device and see if you have connectivity? :wtf:

But chances are good you need to contact Rain and get them to Rica you. Haven't seen anyone here say that it was Rica'd upon arrival.
Welcome email tells you it will be activated within 2 hours. But just reboot your device after 30 minutes to check.

Napalm

Expert Member
and youtube is speed limited again. visit youtube. search for a 4k video. click on 4k resolution
. right click anywhere.

click stats for nerds.

Speeds limited to below 6500kbps

Do I have to add the R250 uncapped off-peak deal immediately wheb I order or can I change my spend limit and add it after the 15 free days?

Napalm

Expert Member
Do I have to add the R250 uncapped off-peak deal immediately wheb I order or can I change my spend limit and add it after the 15 free days?
it's a service, i guess you can add it at any time.. and switch it off for a few months if not needed.

phly

I have two Q's for those using the service. Does youtube videos in 4k play properly? Anything up to 1440p works fine on my end but 4k buffers constantly.

Secondly does one know if the delivery fee that was waived will be credited to our bank accounts or just credited to our rain account for future bundle purchase?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Looks like you can add it at anytime but it works fine without it for now during the free days. My question is how is the uncapped done, calender month or 30 days? I'm happy to park it until 1st July and then activate.

Thanks. Just ordered but my orders page is blank. I know the payment went through because my card was charged and the order number was on the page for a moment. Anyone else have this problem?

RichardG

Honorary Master
Does anyone know how to request forget password on rain website - seems there isn't any option available......

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Does anyone know how to request forget password on rain website - seems there isn't any option available......
nope, emailed them a while back as well.

Side note, felt like playing some Batman so queued Arkham Knight last night after midnight, was done by six am, 50+ Gb.