Rate Afrihost

Rate Afrihost based on value-for-money, network quality, and support.

• Excellent

Votes: 176 49.2%
  • Good

Votes: 95 26.5%
  • Fair

Votes: 30 8.4%
  • Poor

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • Pathetic

Votes: 35 9.8%

• Total voters

Stylo

Like with everything there are some ups and downs but thats the world, nothing is perfect.
From wireless and then moving onto fibre, from the initial sign up to the transition, it has always been seamless. Their billing system is spot on and if when there was an overcharge, they picked it up before me and already had the credit note in the system.
Current service is spot on, feedback is excellent. No issues and very happy

ronald911

Expert Member
Afrihost wants to put me on Telkom LTE now because of the congested Rain LTE... but I'm not happy with the packages they are offering.

At the moment I'm getting 600+ gb with my rain package.

I was on the 330gb initially - then they introduced the Peak + rollover thing, giving me in excess of 900gb /m, which made me downgrade to 220gb.
And then, we also went away for a whole month early last year, which caused almost no data to be used the entire month, giving me a total of over 600gb cap to use every month in theory.... Although we're not heavy users, it does allow us not to be shy to use data, knowing we wont be capped before the end of the month. Nothing is worse than watching a movie on Netflix, knowing, there goes 5% of my cap.

That being said, the Telkom LTE 220gb + 220gb night time (which is only 12am-7am) ain't gonna cut it - and this is their highest package. WTF.

Batman77

I rate Afrihost Highly in value for money, however support is lacking

I first signed up with Afrihost in around 2011 and their service was nothing short of amazing but over the years it has degraded.

This is understandable as the margins of ISP's get squeezed due to monopolies and market pricing it becomes more difficult to maintain the same level of support, but it makes it no less frustrating.

The last few months have been particularly trying.

When things are going OK everything is great but if things go wrong support has NO Clue. Support tickets take forever to get answered, and when they do get answered you have a 1 in 5 chance of getting someone who has a clue, otherwise you have time wasted with generic "reboot" and "move your router to another spot close to a window" responses.

Yes because my router has legs and gets bored of the spot in the window in my loft where it is elevated 6m above ground with LOS to the tower and gets 50mbps in the morning so ot quickly runs to another spot in the house where it gets less than 1mbps - - - and gee i never thought about power cycling the router.

I had a whole week in December with no Connectivity at all - aound a month after the Cell C to MTN switch - after no response or solution from Afrihost and multiple requests, I had to troubleshoot myself and ascertain that the MTN simcard wasnt rica'd (by checking the number on MTN website) - despite Afrihost having all the info - Afrihost never admitted this was the problem - but after I pointed this out then they were able to get me connected.

I am on the maximum MTN package and the data is never enough (no problem that is the deal) and despite having purchased extra data on the app / clientzone my connection is cut and when I eventually get hold of support and the generic 'reboot' responses are dispensed with they figure out the data isn't allocated to my connection - despite clientzone showing that it is.

The speed is amazing when it is working, but often drops to crazy low speeds and support is either economical with the truth or clueless in not admitting network problems and just filling the responses with generic "plug directly in and log into 192.168.1.1" nonsense

It is still good value on the whole, but if my current problems continue after all cable breaks are sorted i'll be looking to move to another solution.

There is unfortunately no fibre in my area so LTE is the only option - but the solution is unstable, I would rather pay more to get a more reliable solution - I just don't know if it exists

Last edited:

IceTyy

I have been with them for over 9 years. I give them 6 out of 10 because recently sometimes they don't respond to queries or they may take days to respond then apologize. But that apology does not help at all.

TawandaM79

Afrihost is very good. since I was freed from Hellkom captivity, I've never experienced any downtime and when I moved a few weeks ago, the fiber was installed and my internet was active the day I moved so there was ZER0 downtime. I've even helped both my new neighbors sign up in the 3 weeks I've been at the new house.

Ebenvo

Good Day

I am new to MyBB. I don't know if I am asking this question on the correct thread.
I currently have a 100mb Openserve fibre line through Afrihost.
Frogfoot rolled out about a year ago in Menlo Park and I see I can get the same line for cheaper through Frogfoot via Afrihost.

My main reason for fibre is HD Streaming and Online Gaming that needs very low Latency.

How does Openserve and Frogfoot compare to each other for gaming and HD streaming, as I can get a 200mb line with Frogfoot for R100 cheaper than a 100mb line with Openserve.

Thank you guys

Eben

chefdude98

Expert Member
Has Afrihost ever looked at a partnership or some sort of relationship with Spotify?

I wouldn't mind a discounted subscription added to my bill.

All of the ISPs are more or less offering the same thing & at similar prices..It would be cool to have value add ons like Spotify.

Arno4Jackie

So far everything is good except there support...

Being having problems with local and international servers at specific times of day and their support keeps resetting my line without resolving the problem.
Their support just ain't up to scratch any more

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Been with AH since mweb back tracked on their Free the Web BS and started throttling all protocols (including gaming, wtf doe).

Fibre has been smooth, no actual downtime just a few things here and there on Vuma's side.

20/20 speeds is what i pay for and thats what i get, 24/7. Even if i use 1.6TB per month.

*Review not paid by Afrihost, Gian or any of its affiliates.

jacosmit

Expert Member
Oh My Soul!

What are the educational requirements for working at Afrihost Help desk? Shouldn't they be able to at least read?

I have logged this SO many times, latest ticket FSW-526-58886.

When I wanted to look into Air Mobile, I mistyped my cell number. Please make the emails stop asking for my consent.

If I could, I would stop it myself as well as build the topless Gauteng Restaurant car that I dreamt about last night.

I have requested Escalation, but that does not happen either.

@Afrihost-Gian, please help your mortal souls?

DreamKing

Honorary Master
compare with RocketNet, afrihost is really my angel.

I want to ask, did any person use their pure fiber? do you have any issue? will they threaten you when you are using torrents?

simons

compare with RocketNet, afrihost is really my angel.

I want to ask, did any person use their pure fiber? do you have any issue? will they threaten you when you are using torrents?
Just to clarify, RocketNet has never threatened you for using torrents, we just asked what you were downloading in the hopes to try and solve your issues.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
Just to clarify, RocketNet has never threatened you for using torrents, we just asked what you were downloading in the hopes to try and solve your issues.
you said that in the phone, (you said torrents is illegal) , so don't lie.

you have nothing to do Mr CEO, right?

simons

you said that in the phone, (you said torrents is illegal) , so don't lie.

you have nothing to do Mr CEO, right?
[mention]DreamKing [/mention] Not sure what yours asking here? But I would highly recommend that you stop spamming the MYBB forums, if you have issues, take it offline.

There are people on here looking for good advice, and we all need to respect the community.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
[mention]DreamKing [/mention] Not sure what yours asking here? But I would highly recommend that you stop spamming the MYBB forums, if you have issues, take it offline.

There are people on here looking for good advice, and we all need to respect the community.
if you don't reply me, actually I have nothing to say to you. and please remember to give me back my money. don't said I spread spam, what I said is 1000% true.not more and not less, I don't want to keep talking to you, just please give my money back.