Reliable and Consistent Alternatives to Afrihost

MoonOwl

Hi everybody :)

Afrihost has been terrible in the evenings and I am on a 20 Mbps Premium Uncapped account. The service is completely unusable in the evenings. Which DSL ISP have you found to be reliable and consistent for someone who clocks in around 600 - 800 GB a month?

I don't mind anything being shaped as long as it is explicitly clear and not vague in the T&C's, FUP or AUP what kind of service I can expect. I have looked at Axxess but don't know if I will suffer just as much with them.

Thanks

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Sorry I asked the wrong question... Do they do line rentals?
Yes, select the package and select that you wish to sign up with and go through the sign-up process. Say you wish for them to manage the line.

MoonOwl

Would you recommend keeping my 20 Mbps line with Afrihost and using CrystalWeb's data service to avoid downtime?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Mweb Premium. Not on their website, you'll have to call them.

MoonOwl

Mweb Premium. Not on their website, you'll have to call them.
Thank you for suggesting MWeb. From the time I was a little kid, MWeb was always as bad as you can get before Telkom and OpenWeb knock on your door unless you can highlight any improvements you have experienced

Last edited:

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Thank you for suggesting MWeb. From the time I was a little kid, MWeb was always as bad as you can get before Telkom and OpenWeb knock on your door unless you can highlight any improvements you have experienced
Their rock solid. I make use of them in 2 business sites, and at home. I do +/- 800GB @ home.

MoonOwl

Their rock solid. I make use of them in 2 business sites, and at home. I do +/- 800GB @ home.
I need to decide between them and Crystal Web. I will read around the forums on people's experience with them

Necropolis

Executive Member
Try a few test accounts from different ISPs to see who gives you the best performance in the time period where you are having issues.

You might be facing an exchange congestion issue - in which case a different ISP isn't going to make a difference.

MoonOwl

Try a few test accounts from different ISPs to see who gives you the best performance in the time period where you are having issues.

You might be facing an exchange congestion issue - in which case a different ISP isn't going to make a difference.
If you read the thread https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/868934-Afrihost-Uncapped-DSL-Feedback?p=19652432#post19652432 Afrihost has been terrible in the evenings. It all starts at exactly 7pm and ends at exactly 10pm. I suspect they are oversubscribed and during peak hours they are throttling all accounts and then applying their shaping policies afterwards. Despite them admitting that they have been experiencing unexpected demand in the evenings, this has been going on for long

Last edited:

skillet

Crystalweb FTW! I have wasted so much time troubleshooting and logging tickets with all the rest. Those days are finally over!

Necropolis

Executive Member
If you read the thread https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/868934-Afrihost-Uncapped-DSL-Feedback?p=19652432#post19652432 Afrihost has been terrible in the evenings. It all starts at exactly 7pm and ends at exactly 10pm. I suspect they are oversubscribed and during peak hours they are throttling all accounts and then applying their shaping policies afterwards. Despite them admitting that they have been experiencing unexpected demand in the evenings, this has been going on for long
I haven't had any issues with AH.

But regardless - try a few test accounts out and see what performs the best?