Router Password

Friedpet

Hello

I'm going to my dad's place for about 2 weeks, want to connect to his router wirelessly, but he doesn't know the password (he didn't even know it had one, so I don't think he ever changed it). So it's probably still on default. Anyways, I think he has a telkom router (I'll make sure once I'm actually there).

Does all telkom routers have default passwords?

Grouter

Executive Member
If it's an old mega 100 or 105 the wireless password is the routers mac address and is printed on the sticker underneath the router. Most other routers also have the default wpa key printed on the outside somewhere.

Just remember the password is CaSe SenSitive....

yaeger

It's probably on dhcp. You would need the key for wireless, if that has been set. There is a reset button if you can't find the use and pwd. Google the default usr and pwd for that make of router.

Grouter

Executive Member
It's probably on dhcp. You would need the key for wireless, if that has been set. There is a reset button if you can't find the use and pwd. Google the default usr and pwd for that make of router.

If the old man didn't know there was a wireless password, chances are he won't know the internet username and password either. Resetting the router will wipe those out, meaning the OP AND his old man will be internetless unless they want to surf www.telkom.co.za exclusively forever after...

OP: If the default wireless key underneath the router doesn't work, open a browser, type 10.0.0.2 into the address bar, hit 'enter', enter 'admin' as the username and 'admin' as the password. Go to 'wireless security'. The password will be there. If it's a bunch of dots, right click on the page and select 'view source' from the menu that pops up. hit 'cntrl +f' to search the text for "password, value=".

Last edited:

Friedpet

Thanks guys. I managed to long into the internet. Unfortunately I can't log into the router. Tried every possible username/password combination. Must have been changed by someone.

MickeyD

RIP
Thanks guys. I managed to long into the internet. Unfortunately I can't log into the router. Tried every possible username/password combination. Must have been changed by someone.
Were you able to log into the modem/router to change the settings?

If it is the old Mega router/modem then look at the back of the router for a little hole. Stick a thin object (pin) in it and hold it in for 20 seconds.

This will reset the modem to it's factory defaults. Username = admin, password = admin (or password).

WARNING: make sure you have your dad's ISP username and password before doing this!!!

Friedpet

No I weren't able to log into the modem to change any settings. I only wanted to get the internet password but got that without getting into the modem. So I'm fine now, thank you!

yaeger

No I weren't able to log into the modem to change any settings. I only wanted to get the internet password but got that without getting into the modem. So I'm fine now, thank you!

Did you need a key to access the wireless? If you didn't I'd suggest increasing the security.